[Vision2020] Is there a correct interpretation of the bible?

Aldoussoma@aol.com Aldoussoma@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:56:44 EST

--part1_69.404d6135.2d3d3c1c_boundary

Edna et. al.

I enjoy discussions of religion and ethics, but many people on V2020 do not
like these topics gone over and over, with what they perceive as redundant
restating of positions.  And some people think religion is a personal matter that
should not be the focus of personalized public "attacks" or debates.
Furthermore, some think V2020 should focus on other issues defined in a special way
more specific to the local community, though at this point it would seem
religion and ethics has become a burning topic that does relate to the direction of
the local community in a manner hard to ignore.

When I wrote "ouch, please stop" I was first making a very simple point about
ethics, and then it seemed appropriate to imagine the thoughts of a V2020
reader who might not like these religious ethical discussions.  I was not stating
that I thought you should stop, or anyone who wishes to pursue this line of
thinking.

Wayne Fox may answer all your questions in detail.  This would be interesting
to read.  However I think the slant of your questions might lead him to
restate them in different terms.  If I was seriously going to answer those
questions, I would have to restate some of them, or at least back up and define
certain terms first.

Perhaps I was being unfair in describing your post as "pedantic."  It
appeared you were asking numerous difficult questions that would require long
involved answers if responded to in depth, an approach someone might use to overwhelm
someone they disagreed with.  Of course quick summary answers could be given,
and in our age of sound bites passing for thought this is what many want!
But as I read your post I felt as though I should have one of those legendary
blue books at hand, two or three in fact, for a long two hour final essay exam!
Anyway, I recall a recent post by Mr. Gier that also used a long series of
questions designed, it seemed, to put the person the post was addressed to on
the spot, as it were, so you are not the only person on V2020 who recently used
this technique of debate via asking a long series of questions.

Yes, I agree, Ethics courses are not just academic exercises that should be
forgotten.  Indeed, whether admitted or not, we all use ethical reasoning every
day of our lives, so we all are ethical philosophers, like it or not.  Odd
though that Ethics is a core requirement for Business majors.  Shouldn't
Business majors take a course in Anti-Ethics?

The quote you referenced from Wayne Fox's post, contained in your post with
your questions, was roughly about the variations in interpretations in the
Bible and the resulting differing Christian sects.  Yes, I know Wayne Fox has
numerous other views and thoughts, etc., many of which he has posted to V2020.
But unless I missed something, your numerous questions must refer to numerous
statements Wayne has made that were not quoted in your post.

I suggest if you want to debate Wayne pick a question or three that directly
refers to a statement he made and include that quote from Wayne with each
question.  It would be much easier to follow a debate constructed in this manner,
rather than ten questions at once obviously designed to lead Wayne down the
path of your particular line of reasoning, a path I suspect he will leave rather
quickly anyway, before answering all the questions.

Perhaps I was rude and rash in asserting your post was not an honest attempt
at debate.  But consider that the questions which have inspired the most
fervor on V2020 regarding the religious beliefs of some members of the Moscow
community were not directly posed in your post, unless I missed something.  The
"uproar" inspired recently concerning the religious views of some in Moscow
involves rather specific views on specific issues.

For this reason, regardless of how sincere or how important your questions
are, some might see your post as an attempt to dodge these critical issues that
anyone following V2020 knows Wayne has been involved with.  However, I think
some of your questions are significant and important.

Thanks for your reply.

Ted

--part1_69.404d6135.2d3d3c1c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10>
<BR>Edna et. al.
<BR>
<BR>I enjoy discussions of religion and ethics, but many people on V2020 do=20=
not like these topics gone over and over, with what they perceive as redunda=
nt restating of positions. &nbsp;And some people think religion is a persona=
l matter that should not be the focus of personalized public "attacks" or de=
bates. &nbsp;Furthermore, some think V2020 should focus on other issues defi=
ned in a special way more specific to the local community, though at this po=
int it would seem religion and ethics has become a burning topic that does r=
elate to the direction of the local community in a manner hard to ignore. &n=
bsp;
<BR>
<BR>When I wrote "ouch, please stop" I was first making a very simple point=20=
about ethics, and then it seemed appropriate to imagine the thoughts of a V2=
020 reader who might not like these religious ethical discussions. &nbsp;I w=
as not stating that I thought you should stop, or anyone who wishes to pursu=
e this line of thinking.
<BR>
<BR>Wayne Fox may answer all your questions in detail. &nbsp;This would be i=
nteresting to read. &nbsp;However I think the slant of your questions might=20=
lead him to restate them in different terms. &nbsp;If I was seriously going=20=
to answer those questions, I would have to restate some of them, or at least=
 back up and define certain terms first.
<BR>
<BR>Perhaps I was being unfair in describing your post as "pedantic." &nbsp;=
It appeared you were asking numerous difficult questions that would require=20=
long involved answers if responded to in depth, an approach someone might us=
e to overwhelm someone they disagreed with. &nbsp;Of course quick summary an=
swers could be given, and in our age of sound bites passing for thought this=
 is what many want! &nbsp;But as I read your post I felt as though I should=20=
have one of those legendary blue books at hand, two or three in fact, for a=20=
long two hour final essay exam! &nbsp;Anyway, I recall a recent post by Mr.=20=
Gier that also used a long series of questions designed, it seemed, to put t=
he person the post was addressed to on the spot, as it were, so you are not=20=
the only person on V2020 who recently used this technique of debate via aski=
ng a long series of questions.
<BR>
<BR>Yes, I agree, Ethics courses are not just academic exercises that should=
 be forgotten. &nbsp;Indeed, whether admitted or not, we all use ethical rea=
soning every day of our lives, so we all are ethical philosophers, like it o=
r not. &nbsp;Odd though that Ethics is a core requirement for Business major=
s. &nbsp;Shouldn't Business majors take a course in Anti-Ethics?
<BR>
<BR>The quote you referenced from Wayne Fox's post, contained in your post w=
ith your questions, was roughly about the variations in interpretations in t=
he Bible and the resulting differing Christian sects. &nbsp;Yes, I know Wayn=
e Fox has numerous other views and thoughts, etc., many of which he has post=
ed to V2020. &nbsp;But unless I missed something, your numerous questions mu=
st refer to numerous statements Wayne has made that were not quoted in your=20=
post.
<BR>
<BR>I suggest if you want to debate Wayne pick a question or three that dire=
ctly refers to a statement he made and include that quote from Wayne with ea=
ch question. &nbsp;It would be much easier to follow a debate constructed in=
 this manner, rather than ten questions at once obviously designed to lead W=
ayne down the path of your particular line of reasoning, a path I suspect he=
 will leave rather quickly anyway, before answering all the questions.
<BR>
<BR>Perhaps I was rude and rash in asserting your post was not an honest att=
empt at debate. &nbsp;But consider that the questions which have inspired th=
e most fervor on V2020 regarding the religious beliefs of some members of th=
e Moscow community were not directly posed in your post, unless I missed som=
ething. &nbsp;The "uproar" inspired recently concerning the religious views=20=
of some in Moscow involves rather specific views on specific issues.
<BR>
<BR>For this reason, regardless of how sincere or how important your questio=
ns are, some might see your post as an attempt to dodge these critical issue=
s that anyone following V2020 knows Wayne has been involved with. &nbsp;Howe=
ver, I think some of your questions are significant and important.
<BR>
<BR>Thanks for your reply.
<BR>
<BR>Ted