[Vision2020] Is there a correct interpretation of the bible?

Art Deco deco@moscow.com
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 09:39:12 -0800

It would be hard to find any Christian group whose beliefs were consistent
with the whole bible as it now exists or existed before the current contents
of the bible were declared.  [The study of how the current bible came to be
is a fascinating story of politics, economics, crime, and superstition.]

For example, I do not know of any formal Christian group that takes all of
Leviticus as seriously as they do Mark.  Yet, Jesus said at one point that
all the old laws (Torah) still hold.

The other problem concerns what Jesus really said.  The Jesus Seminar, made
up of many committed, believing Christian scholars, claims that only 15% of
the words ascribed to Jesus in the New Testament were actually uttered by
him.  The arguments made two best selling books published by reputable
publishers are much more convincing than those of out untutored, local cult
leader.

If you open mindedly read these books written committed Christians, it is
probable that your faith will undergo a large, cleansing transformation.

This problem of the authenticity of religious claims based on the alleged
historical accuracy of the New testament has been intensely discussed by
Christians scholars since the 19th century. {See The Quest for the
Historical Jesus, printed in the early 20th century.}

Unlike the problem of finding the specific gravity of zinc or what causes
measles, there is no widely accepted, convincing way of establishing the
truth of any interpretation of the bible.  If there were, then there would
not be several thousand Christian sects and millions of differing Christian
beliefs.

Wayne Fox