[Vision2020] A Liberal World: Women's Rights

Saundra Lund sslund@adelphia.net
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:06:51 -0800

Hi Ted & All,

Ted wrote:
"But considering that Moscow's topless law is still on the books, maybe
reviving the discussion might inspire reviewing that ordinance to either
amend or abandon it.   After all, the "liberals" have engineered a
"takeover" of Moscow's City Council, or so some have portrayed it."

And Carl added:
"But don't forget that in my perverse spin on the Brave New World, all bank
tellers, car-washers, etc. would be topless clones of Nicole Kidman."

What's with this Nicole Kidman fascination??? It escapes me . . .

I agree that the stupid topless ordinance should be abandoned, and as a
"liberal" mostly thrilled with the recent City Council election victories
(with more victory to follow in the next election, I hope), I'll do my part
to work towards such an end.

Failing that, however, we must at least amend the ordinance.  If all women
must not show any portion of their breasts, then I want a law that says all
males without physiques like Tom Cruise must cover their chests when in
public!  Or, maybe since the existing ordinance focuses on female puberty,
then perhaps we should focus on male secondary sex characteristics like
muscle & hair and say that men with pecs & chest hair must cover themselves.
<sigh>  Personally, I'd prefer the contrary where only men with decent pecs
& some chest hair are allowed to go topfree, but I understand some of my
sisters prefer the smooth chest look, so then we've got problems.

Or, maybe we should say that men whose waist or belly measurement (whichever
is larger) is more than 0.5" greater than their chest measurements must
cover up?  That would sure be an improvement for my poor eyes!

Boy, I'm getting a little carried away with the notion that one gender
should dictate what the other should -- or shouldn't -- wear or cover or
show!  Must be time for a cold shower . . .

Oh . . . wait . . . I forgot that according to some sad people, it's only
*men* who are allowed to get worked up about such things.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
-Edmund Burke