[Vision2020] A Liberal World

Mike Lawyer mike_l@moscow.com
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:32:26 -0800

Melynda,

Are you saying that for a woman to walk around without her shirt on, when
she knows the communal tizzy it's going to cause, is not a sexual act? (BTW
a sexual act is not the same thing as consenting to sex). The men on our
list certainly know that women without their shirts on is indeed a sexual
act. That's why all these guys want to go to that particular carwash, and
bank etc.

My point, which you carefully missed (I'm not the best writer in the world),
was that in one generation taking your top off to wash a car is pushing the
morality envelope. And in the next generation when wearing nothing has
become passé, the next generation of liberals will need to push whatever
their envelope is in order to be a consistent liberal. Rape was probably the
wrong direction to go, since Dr. Gier has so aptly shown that Denmark hasn't
gone in that direction. But if my understanding of liberal is correct, I'm
sure those liberal Danes must be pushing the envelope out somewhere.

Thanks again for helping me out here.

Mike Lawyer

-----Original Message-----
From: vision2020-admin@moscow.com [mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com] On
Behalf Of Melynda Huskey
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 3:00 PM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: RE: [Vision2020] A Liberal World

Mike writes:

>Perhaps this explains why running around with your top off to wash cars is
>good thing (it goes against all those stodgy conservatives townies) and why
>raping those same topless women is a bad thing (even though the next
>generation of liberals might think that a perfectly good thing).

Here's an explanation that makes sense on *this* planet.  When some local
women decided to wash cars without shirts on, they were making a completely
legal decision (at that time, anyway) about *their own bodies.*  If someone
were to have raped one of those women, he would have been committing an
illegal act of sexual violence against someone else.  There's no similarity
between the two situations at all.

I apparently also need to note that not wearing a shirt is not the same
thing as consenting to sex.

Of course, the unspoken core of Mike's argument (and quite a lot of Joshua's

too) is that women's bodies, and their sexuality, must be concealed because
men can't possibly  control themselves.  What a demeaning and horrific
vision of both men and women.

Melynda Huskey

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast & reliable Internet access with prime

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com