[Vision2020] Good Old Climate

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:05:16 -0800

In honor of Nate's request that visionaries NOT condemn vandalism, I offer
instead some satiric abuse . . .

The Mysterious Case of the NSA Christmas Lights
By Carolyn Much-Too-Keene

Chapter One

"Jeepers!" cried Nancy Drew, hopping down from her well-worn bar stool.  "Is
that a menacing shadow lurking in front of the New St. Andrews?"

Her fellow bar-flies smiled indulgently as the titian-haired detective sped
across The Garden Lounge, her patent leather clutch in one hand and a sky
blue cocktail in the other.  Gosh, they marveled, even when tipsy that Nancy
sure cut a striking figure.  The splash of Blue Curacao in her yummy vodka
drink perfectly complemented her pale chiffon sheath and dyed-to-match
pumps, and, despite the fact that she'd been propping up the bar for nearly
three hours, her charming coiffure was only slightly mussed.

"Golly!" Nancy mused.  "It's a good thing I took Auntie Establishment's
course in how to run with a drink in your hand.  It's sure come in handy!"

Waving goodbye to her favorite mixologist, Nancy exited the bar.  Once
outside, she kicked off her pumps and began to creep silently across
Friendship Square.  Hiding behind the kiddie slide, Nancy watched the
menacing shadow she'd spotted from the lounge resolve itself into two, and
then three, and then four separate figures.

"Gosh," she pondered.  "I wonder if this is a gang of liberal, progressive,
secular, homosexual, humorless, feminist Confederate-bashers come to harass
our local theocrats?  Or is it just a bunch of silly drunks?"

Reaching into the bottom of her always carefully stocked purse, Nancy pulled
out her third-generation night vision goggles, a birthday gift for her sweet
sixteen from her special friends in the Special Forces.  Suddenly, the sound
of a thousand tiny light bulbs being violently wrenched from their moorings
floated through the icy air.  With trembling hands, the intrepid sleuth
adjusted the focus on her goggles.

"Why," she gasped, "judging from the logos printed on their one-hundred
percent cotton sweatshirts, it looks as if these vandals attend a
fully-accredited government school!  Good thing I packed my knuckledusters
and mace!"

To Be Continued . . .

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
Also a fan of the Hardy Boys