Fwd: [Vision2020] The niceties of public defense

Aldoussoma@aol.com Aldoussoma@aol.com
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 05:35:48 EST

--part1_d7.f52576.2d2fde04_boundary

--part1_d7.f52576.2d2fde04_alt_boundary

Debbie et. al.

Some of my statements in the post you objected to did require some
qualification.

Far from thinking public defenders are overpaid, I think they need to be paid
more, with sufficient oversight, of course.  I think guaranteeing fairness in
our legal system to all regardless of income to be a critical component in
the functioning of our democracy, as critical to the health of our system as a
national defense, and as worthy of funding.  When the courts appear to give the
rich access to the best defenses in court, while the poor get irregular and
sometimes incompetent defense, it undermines faith in our system, creates
cynicism and mistrust in government and law enforcement, and disenfranchises
people.  We need more and better paid public defenders in general.  The current
system varies tremendously from state to state in terms of how well public defense
in court is funded.

I am sure you are correct that there are pubic defenders in Moscow who work
hard on behalf of their indigent clients.

Ted

--part1_d7.f52576.2d2fde04_alt_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10>
<BR>Debbie et. al.
<BR>
<BR>Some of my statements in the post you objected to did require some quali=
fication.
<BR>
<BR>Far from thinking public defenders are overpaid, I think they need to be=
 paid more, with sufficient oversight, of course. &nbsp;I think guaranteeing=
 fairness in our legal system to all regardless of income to be a critical c=
omponent in the functioning of our democracy, as critical to the health of o=
ur system as a national defense, and as worthy of funding. &nbsp;When the co=
urts appear to give the rich access to the best defenses in court, while the=
 poor get irregular and sometimes incompetent defense, it undermines faith i=
n our system, creates cynicism and mistrust in government and law enforcemen=
t, and disenfranchises people. &nbsp;We need more and better paid public def=
enders in general. &nbsp;The current system varies tremendously from state t=
o state in terms of how well public defense in court is funded.
<BR>
<BR>I am sure you are correct that there are pubic defenders in Moscow who w=
ork hard on behalf of their indigent clients.
<BR>
<BR>Ted</FONT></HTML>