[Vision2020] creating tolerance

bill london london@moscow.com
Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:17:30 -0800

What should the city of Moscow do to be open and welcoming to diversity?
Should the Moscow city government clearly condemn the anti-gay,
pro-slavery, Neo-Confederate views of Christ Church officials--OR--in
the name of tolerance should the city support all political views and
take no stand regarding their Neo-Confederate influence?

Perhaps a recent court decision from Boise could help define the issues
(and my thanks to Adam Wilson, who raised this issue in his column in
today's Lewiston Tribune).

The decision is Peterson v. Hewlett-Packard Co., filed 1/6/04, decision
# 01-35795, by US 9th Curcuit District Court
http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newopinions.nsf/C1027D97C4AA46F388256E1200823D1F/$file/0135795.pdf?openelement

In sum, Peterson worked for Hewlett-Packard, and as a "conservative
Christian" objected to the company posting signs welcoming gays into the
workplace.  So, he posted his own signs, which were Biblical passages
condemning gays.  In the name of tolerance of diverse opinions, Peterson
refused to take down his signs.  Ultimately, Hewlitt-Packard fired him,
and the court agreed with the employer.

The Court said that Peterson "was discharged, not because of his
religious beliefs, but because he violated the company's harassment
policy by attempting to generate a hostile and intolerant work environment."

The analogy is pretty clear.  Peterson would represent the Christ Church
officials.  The City of Moscow would represent the employer.  And the
Christ Church leadership's support and presentation (as at the Feb
"history conference") of Neo-Confederate views both violates the goal of
making Moscow open and diverse and is an effort to create a hostile and
intolerant environment.

I am not suggesting that the City of Moscow should exile Christ Church
officials for expousing their Neo-Confederate views.  I have
consistently stated my belief that they have their First Amendment
rights to make those statements.  I just think that the community has
the obligation, and the right, to make it clear that the
Neo-Confederates do not speak for us.  I urge the City Council to
consider a public statement that those intolerant Neo-Confederate views
do not belong here because their goal is the creation of a "hostile and
intolerant" environment.
BL