[Vision2020] The niceties of public defense

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 06:00:59 -0800

No matter how you cut it, $77,000 per year of "additional" income (to a
private practice) that does not require accountability outside of one's 1040
form is pork.

All we are requiring is fiscal accountability.  This is not a new concept,
people.  School districts deal with it year after year after year after . .
.

And to compound the issue with such brilliant statements as "If public
defenders were defending all their cases aggressively, the courts could not
handle the work . . ." goes way beyond ludicrous.  We demand . . . No . . .
We require teachers to pursue their responsibilities in an aggressive
manner.  So, why not public defenders?

If I ever require the services of a criminal attorney in Latah County, I
will be thankful that I will not be reduced to calling on a public defender.
If I am not guilty of a crime, I certainly do not want to be punished simply
because it clears out the public defender's In Box.