[Vision2020] Public Defender Religious Issues

Debbie Gray dgray@uidaho.edu
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:28:05 -0800 (PST)

While I do not agree with Mr. Dickison's beliefs, I respect his very
professional answer to this forum. He addressed his beliefs and how they
conflicted with the legal system, but then further discussed how he is
able to operate within the legal system and supports his clients to
his highest abilities. Why are people not content with this answer? Do any
of you have proof otherwise? Doesn't anyone see this veering dangerously
close to 'witch hunt land'?

We all work every single day with people whose personal beliefs may
aggravate, offend or deeply hurt us. Unless someone has concrete proof
(and sufficient amounts of it), I think this topic is ridiculous.

How different would it be if this were an Islamic public defender? A
lesbian Mormon public defender (now talk about a minority!)? A black
atheist public defender? A transgendered Wicken public defender?

I've seen the pitiful assumptions and reactions that can come from people
equating a person's job with that person's personal life (eg. All Cops are
Wife Beating Nazi Rednecks Who Live to Racially Profile and Beat Everyone
and Harass Innocent People with Pesky Speeding Tickets) and it's just one
more way for people to simplify and categorize the 'others' we know
instead of seeing them as people with varied interests, personalities,
beliefs, etc.

While I am glad the commissioner's are responding to the other valid
concerns Rose has about billing/accountability, I think the concerns about
how Mr. Dickison's beliefs and professional life are way off base.

Debbie Gray

  Debbie Gray      dgray@uidaho.edu      http://www.uidaho.edu/~dgray/
  We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to
  have the life that is waiting for us." --Joseph Campbell