[Vision2020] Can Clinton Win?(Forgetting something)

Paul Duffau pduffau@adelphia.net
Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:42:49 -0800

--=====================_162574529==_.ALT

At 03:47 PM 1/4/04 -0800, you wrote:

>Which brings up another problem.  I think that Idaho should drop the
>party-line primary and switch to an open primary like Washington.  An open
>primary reflects more accurately the potential "leanings" of the general
>election.  I have registered Republican for primary elections to vote for
>the Dan Quayles of the world, hoping that the Democratic candidate would
>be opposing him/her on general election day.  Thus making it easier for a
>Democratic victory on general election day.
>
>Any thoughts (mature ones)?
>
>Take care,
>
>Tom Hansen
>Moscow, Idaho

The first thought that comes to mind is my free right of association.  You
want to come to my party, fine.  But don't whine from the outside.  Join
the party, vote in the primary.  Or in your case, join the party to perform
deliberate and dishonest sabotage.  I am rather shocked that you would
admit to intentionally lying.  When joining either party (or one of the
obscure ones), you are offering a public statement of your views and, on
that basis, being allowed to participate.  And, yes, I understand the
implications to my phrase "being allowed".  The fact of the matter is that
the parties are private organizations and have the right to develop and
enforce their own rules.  Primaries are not designed to show the "leanings"
of the general population but to nominate a candidate for office that is
representative of the beliefs of the party as a whole.  If the candidates
nominated do not win then the party has the choice next time of either
offering a more moderate candidate or declaring that its principles are to
be held inviolate and they would rather lose than sacrifice.  Leanings of
the general population are revealed in the general election.

The fact that you feel it necessary to perform an intellectually fraudulent
act indicates that you do not have the faith that your ideas will prevail
in the marketplace of political thought, i.e., the elections.  Instead, to
make up for your deficiencies, you cheat.

Congratulations.

Paul Duffau

--=====================_162574529==_.ALT

At 03:47 PM 1/4/04 -0800, you wrote:<br>
another problem.&nbsp; I think that Idaho should drop the party-line
primary and switch to an open primary like Washington.&nbsp; An open
primary reflects more accurately the potential &quot;leanings&quot; of
the general election.&nbsp; I have registered Republican for primary
elections to vote for the Dan Quayles of the world, hoping that the
Democratic candidate would be opposing him/her on general election
day.&nbsp; Thus making it easier for a Democratic victory on general
election day.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Moscow, Idaho</blockquote><br>
The first thought that comes to mind is my free right of
association.&nbsp; You want to come to my party, fine.&nbsp; But don't
whine from the outside.&nbsp; Join the party, vote in the primary.&nbsp;
Or in your case, join the party to perform deliberate and dishonest
sabotage.&nbsp; I am rather shocked that you would admit to intentionally
lying.&nbsp; When joining either party (or one of the obscure ones), you
are offering a public statement of your views and, on that basis, being
allowed to participate.&nbsp; And, yes, I understand the implications to
my phrase &quot;being allowed&quot;.&nbsp; The fact of the matter is that
the parties are <i>private </i>organizations and have the right to
develop and enforce their own rules.&nbsp; Primaries are not designed to
show the &quot;leanings&quot; of the general population but to nominate a
candidate for office that is representative of the beliefs of the party
as a whole.&nbsp; If the candidates nominated do not win then the party
has the choice next time of either offering a more moderate candidate or
declaring that its principles are to be held inviolate and they would
rather lose than sacrifice.&nbsp; Leanings of the general population are
revealed in the general election.<br>
The fact that you feel it necessary to perform an intellectually
fraudulent act indicates that you do not have the faith that your ideas
will prevail in the marketplace of political thought, i.e., the
elections.&nbsp; Instead, to make up for your deficiencies, you
cheat.&nbsp; <br>
Congratulations.<br>
Paul Duffau<br>