[Vision2020] Patriarchy, Possession, and Slavery

Nick Gier ngier@uidaho.edu
Fri, 02 Jan 2004 22:04:29 -0800

Dear Visionaries:

It's 1,500 words so you can stop when you're tired or disgusted.  Just for
Ben Merkle: I've prepared a fully documented version that can be read at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/patrislav.htm.

PATRIARCHY, POSSESSION, AND SLAVERY
Nick Gier, Emeritus Professor of Philosophy, University of Idaho

We know better than others that every attribute of their character fits
them for dependence and servitude. By nature the most affectionate and
loyal of all races beneath the sun, they are also the most helpless; and no
calamity can befall them greater than the loss of that protection they
enjoy under this patriarchal system.

                 --Calvinist Benjamin M. Palmer, "Thanksgiving Sermon,"
November 29, 1860

The plain solution of the matter is, slavery may not be the beau ideal of
the social organization; that there is a true evil in the necessity for it,
but that this evil is not slavery, but the ignorance and vice in the
laboring classes, of which slavery is the useful and righteous remedy.

                 --Calvinist R. L. Dabney, A Defense of Virginia, p. 207.

         Recently on Vision2020 one of Doug Wilson's defenders complained
that his critics are picking one small booklet on slavery out of his
voluminous writings on other topics.  In this essay I will show that
Wilson's support for slavery is intimately connected with other writings
that affirm male superiority, hierarchy, and inequality. The top males in
history have found it natural to assert their authority not only over males
deemed inferior to themselves (note that Dabney includes non-Africans), but
also their wives and daughters.

        Slavery and sexism are as old as human history, but
institutionalized racism, i.e., discrimination on the basis of skin color
is a very recent phenomenon. For the most part the ancient world was color
blind: people were not barred from worship, work, or marriage because of
the color of their skin.Therefore, Doug Jones, Wilson's theological
colleague, is quite correct in arguing that the Bible is not racist in any
way, starting with Moses' black wife and the Ethiopian Christian asking
about the servant songs of Isaiah.

        In the ancient world the most common way of becoming enslaved was
to be captured in battle or to be kidnapped by slavers.  In his Politics
Aristotle rejected this view because it made slavery contingent and
conventional, rather than a natural state of some people.  Aristotle argued
that only Greeks possessed souls rational enough to govern themselves
wisely, and that non-Greeks should therefore submit themselves to the rule
of superior men.  Unfortunately, Greek women suffered the same fate as the
barbarians in being rationally deficient and suitable only for the bearing
of children.

        Aristotle reconfirmed an ancient tradition that saw the woman's
role in reproduction as purely passive.  The womb was simply a vessel for
the nourishment of the male seed.  Some ancient authorities thought that
fetuses were miniatures (homunculi)of their fathers, and females were
explained as the result of defective development in the womb. (Darn, it's
always the woman's fault!) In ancient India, arguments about the true
parent centered solely on the "father of the seed" versus the "father of
the mother."  The ancients could be excused for not knowing of the female
ovum, but this complete demotion of the mother is unforgivable.

        For over two thousand years Aristotle's authority (or reasoning
similar to his) was used to defend slavery and the subjugation of women. In
Christian England before the Norman Conquest, a father could sell his own
children as slaves if they were under seven years of age, and he could
lawfully kill any of his children "who had not yet tasted food."  In the
following centuries, abortions were only allowed until the fetus
"quickened" in the womb, but in the 17th Century judges such as Sir Edward
Coke maintained that the fetus was not a person until it was born alive, a
view also held by the ancient Jews.

        English philosopher John Locke, who himself was involved in the
slave trade, promoted this idea of private property: if a person mixes his
labor with the fruits of the earth then the product is his
property.  (Oddly enough, Locke's slaves could have claimed a lot of
property by this theory!) Locke also applied this principle to God and his
creations: human beings are "a work of God, they remain always not only
God's servant but forever God's property." R. J. Rushdoony, a popular
theologian at New St. Andrews College, agrees with Locke and declares that
God the Creator is the (absolute property owner," and he adds that
(Scripture tells us that we are God's property by virtue of creation, and
doubly His possession by recreation, so that we are not our own."

        With God as the primary owner, an earthly hierarchy was
established.  Kings ruled and owned their subjects with divine
sanction.  Feudal lords derived their authority from the king, including
the right, dramatically portrayed in the movie Braveheart, to have any
woman in his domain. Lower down the hierarchy, the father exerted the same
authority over his wife, children, and slaves, if he owned any.  Some
evangelicals appear to be taking Paul quite literally when he said that man
"is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man" (1 Cor.
11:7), especially if the political meaning of "image of God" is favored.

        Locke's position is terribly ironic given the fact that he is seen
as one of the founding thinkers of classical liberalism, the view that we
are free and autonomous agents who govern ourselves by means of
representative government. Here I am reminded of a poster which announced a
talk, sponsored by the Campus Crusade for Christ, entitled "Whose am I?"
This was obviously an evangelical Christian response to the humanistic
questions of "Who am I?" and "Where should I take my life?" as opposed
"what does God have planned for me, his obedient servant?"

        Traditional Christian ownership is explicit with regard to slaves
but implicit with regard to women.  Wilson's opposition to feminism is more
radical than most people would think, because he does not believe in
women's suffrage.  Following the ancient view, the patriarch rules his
household and owns everything in it.  (A rebellious wife, God forbid, might
cancel out her husband's vote!) We still say, but don't take seriously,
that the father "gives away" his daughter at her wedding.  Wilson's return
to the rules of courtship, where a daughter cannot date without the
permission of her father, is a strong reaffirmation of the absolute power
of the patriarch.

        Sometimes this power goes to the patriarchs' heads and they become
spiritual Titans.  I define spiritual Titanism as an extreme form of
humanism in which humans take on divine attributes and prerogatives.  Here
is a sample of the claims that Wilson and Steve Wilkins make in their
slavery booklet: "By the time of the [Civil] War, the leadership of the
South was conservative, orthodox, and Christian. By contrast, the
leadership of the North was radical and Unitarian." In contrast to the
righteous Confederates, the abolitionists in the North were "wicked" and
were "driven by a zealous hatred for the Word of God."

        For Calvinists Wilson and Wilkins who believe in the absolute
sovereignty of God, they should be the last ones to take divine judgment
into their own hands. Only God chooses who the true Christians are and
where the wicked live. After hearing a person's "witness," many
conservative Christian ministers decide whether or not he or she is truly a
Christian.  These pastors are following in the footsteps of Jerry Falwell
who once declared that God does not answer the prayers of Jews. Again this
is surely for God alone to decide, not mere sinful mortals.

        When we promote a "liberal" arts education and celebrate the spread
of "liberal" democracies throughout the world, we are using the word
"liberal" in its original meaning: "pertaining to the free person."  In
feudal Europe there was a distinction between the "the free born ones"
(liberi) and those "born to serve" (servi).  Classical liberalism is
defined as the political revolution, inspired by Enlightenment philosophers
such as Locke and Jefferson, that was committed to eliminating the
distinction between lords and serfs forever.  In addition to equal,
inalienable rights and representative government, classical liberalism also
initiated free market capitalism. Interestingly enough, Wilson condemns
capitalist economics as modernist and unbiblical.

        Most of the political debate in liberal democracies happens within
the house of classical liberalism.  Liberal Democrats, conservative
Republicans, and Libertarians all embrace the values of classical
liberalism, including free market economics. Slightly revising the motto of
the French Revolution, one might say that the Libertarian emphasizes
liberty, the liberal Democrat focuses on equality, and many conservative
Republicans value community, but each holds the other two values dear as
well.

        When I used to introduce classical liberalism in my ethics classes,
I always called for a show of hands of those who believed in human
inequality and the divine right of kings.  In my twenty years of teaching
ethics I never saw a hand raised for classical conservatism. Furthermore,
very few hands went up when I asked them if women should not have equal
political and economic rights, the dictionary definition of feminism. Most
of us, then, are liberals in the classical sense.

        But there are some classical conservatives among us, and there are
still some who believe in hierarchy, inequality, and the right of top males
to rule their homes and the world.  R. L. Dabney, Wilson's favorite
Calvinist theologian, declares that God created humans with different
natures so that "the inferior is shielded in his right to his smaller
franchise," so that the superior may enjoy "his larger powers." Harold
Brown of Trinity Evangelical Divinity School states it most bluntly: "Only
God has rights. We have duties."

Nicholas F. Gier
Emeritus Professor of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://users.moscow.com/ngier/home/index.htm
208-883-3360/882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/ift/index.htm