[Vision2020] Liberalism and Diversity on the Palouse

DonaldH675@aol.com DonaldH675@aol.com
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 22:21:23 EST

-------------------------------1073100083

Dear Greg and Visionaries,

There are many things I can legitimately be accused of: stirring the pot, a
quick temper, and occasionally (at least according to Meynda) intemperate
words.  One thing that I should not be accused of, however, is making up statements
or placing words in another's  mouth.  Just not my style.  I stand firmly
behind my statement that Greg was unequivocal in declaring that the correct Godly
punishment for homosexual behavior was stoning.  Further, in Greg's Credenda
Agenda columns, he reiterates this view.  But don't take my word for it.  Read
for yourself.  Greg writes:

"The civil magistrate is the minister of God to execute wrath on the
wrongdoer (Rom. 13:4).  God has not left his civil minister without guidance on how to
exercise his office.  The Scriptures set forth clear standards of judgment
for many offenses.  Capital crimes, for example, include premeditated killing
(murder), kidnapping, sorcery, bestiality, adultery, homosexuality, and cursing
one's parents.  (Ex. 21:14; 21:16; 22:18; 22:19; Lev. 20:10; 20:13; Ex.
21:17)."  Credenda/Agenda Vol. 3, No. 9, column entitled "Magistralis," article
entitled "Your Eye Shall Not Pity," by Greg Dickison.

Let me be perfectly clear.  I am not accusing Greg of paying lack-luster
attention to his clients.  I am not suggesting that he is less than vigorous in
his advocacy and their defense.  I don't have the information necessary to make
those sorts of accusations.  And, I don't make unsubstantiated allegations.  I
document everything, jot and tittle. In my experience, the legal profession
tends to attract those folks who thrive on competition and prefer being on the
winning of every argument.

Greg should be the last to object to a careful scrutiny of how the county
spends our tax dollars.  I believe it would be useful to have a more complete
accounting of our public defenders' billable hours than is currently required by
the county commissioners.  I want to see my tax dollars at work.  I want to
know how many cases are pled out before they ever go to trial.  I want to know
how many hours are spent with a client prior to the negotiation of plea
agreements.  I want to know how many cases involving indigent clients (other than
capital cases) ever go to trial.  I want to know how many investigatory dollars
are spent on cases.

It is my understanding that, currently, the public defenders present a
monthly invoice to the commissioners listing coded case numbers and hours of work by
the P.D.  That's all, folks.  I don't think that is a sufficiently high
standard of accountability, particularly when outcomes are not part of the
information provided.  That is why I wrote to the county commissioners, and that is
why I will share the information I receive from them with Vision 2020.

Incidentally, Greg, I will not be dismissed as if I were Lois Lane's
dim-witted sister.  I am not turning my tabloid attentions on you merely for the fun
of exercising hateful hyperbole.  Instead, as Auntie E. would say, "You're not
the boss of me" and I will raise any questions that I wish about the public
performance of any official, including you.   That particular evening back in
1994 when you made your views on the gay community crystal clear is burned in my
memory.  In fact, one might say, it is a source of permanent inspiration.

Best,
Rose Huskey

-------------------------------1073100083

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2734.1600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Dear Greg and Visionaries,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>There are many things I can legitimately be accused of:=20=
stirring the pot, a quick temper, and occasionally (at least according to Me=
ynda) intemperate words.&nbsp; One thing that I should not be accused of, ho=
wever, is making up statements or placing words in&nbsp;another's&nbsp; mout=
h.&nbsp; Just not my style.&nbsp; I stand firmly behind&nbsp;my&nbsp;stateme=
nt that&nbsp;Greg was unequivocal in declaring that the correct Godly punish=
ment for homosexual behavior was stoning.&nbsp; Further, in&nbsp;</FONT><FON=
T size=3D3>Greg's&nbsp;<EM>Credenda Agenda </EM>columns, he reiterates this=20=
view.&nbsp; But don't take my word for it.&nbsp; Read for yourself.&nbsp; Gr=
eg writes:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>"The civil magistrate is the minister of God to execute=20=
wrath on the wrongdoer (Rom. 13:4).&nbsp; God has not left his civil ministe=
r without guidance on how to exercise his office.&nbsp; The Scriptures set f=
orth clear standards of judgment for many offenses. &nbsp;Capital crimes, fo=
r example, include premeditated killing (murder), kidnapping, sorcery, besti=
ality, adultery, homosexuality, and cursing one's parents.&nbsp; (Ex. 21:14;=
 21:16; 22:18; 22:19; Lev. 20:10; 20:13; Ex. 21:17)."&nbsp; </FONT><FONT siz=
e=3D3><EM>Credenda/Agenda</EM> Vol. 3, No. 9, column entitled "Magistralis<E=
M>,"</EM> </FONT><FONT size=3D3>article entitled&nbsp;<EM>"</EM>Your Eye Sha=
ll Not Pity," by&nbsp;Greg Dickison.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><EM><FONT size=3D3></FONT></EM>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Let me be perfectly clear.&nbsp; I am not accusing Greg=20=
of paying lack-luster attention to his clients.&nbsp; I am not suggesting th=
at he is less than vigorous in&nbsp;his advocacy and their defense.&nbsp;&nb=
sp;I don't have the information&nbsp;necessary to make those sorts of accusa=
tions.&nbsp; And,&nbsp;I&nbsp;don't make unsubstantiated allegations.&nbsp;=20=
I document everything, jot and tittle. In my experience, the legal professio=
n&nbsp;tends to attract those folks who thrive&nbsp;on competition and prefe=
r being on the winning&nbsp;of&nbsp;every argument.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Greg&nbsp;should be the last to object to&nbsp;a careful=
 scrutiny of how the county spends our tax dollars.&nbsp;&nbsp;I believe it=20=
would be useful to have a more complete accounting of our public defenders'=20=
billable hours than is currently&nbsp;required by the county commissioners.&=
nbsp; I want to see my tax dollars at work.&nbsp; I want to know how many ca=
ses are pled out before they ever go to trial.&nbsp; I want to know how many=
 hours are spent with a client prior to the negotiation of&nbsp;plea agreeme=
nts.&nbsp; I want to know how many cases involving indigent clients (other t=
han&nbsp;capital cases) ever go to trial.&nbsp; I want to know how many inve=
stigatory dollars are spent on&nbsp;cases.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>It is my understanding that, currently, the public defen=
ders present a monthly invoice to the commissioners listing coded case numbe=
rs and hours of work by the P.D.&nbsp; That's&nbsp;all, folks.&nbsp; I don't=
 think that is a&nbsp;sufficiently high standard&nbsp;of accountability, par=
ticularly when outcomes are not part of the information provided.&nbsp; That=
 is why I wrote to the county commissioners, and that is why I will share th=
e information I receive from them with Vision 2020.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Incidentally, Greg, I will not be dismissed as&nbsp;if I=
 were Lois Lane's dim-witted&nbsp;sister.&nbsp; I am not&nbsp;turning my tab=
loid attentions on you merely for the fun of&nbsp;exercising&nbsp;hateful&nb=
sp;hyperbole.&nbsp; Instead, as Auntie E. would say, "You're not the boss of=
 me" and I will&nbsp;raise any questions that I wish about the public perfor=
mance of any official, including you.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;That particular eveni=
ng back in 1994 when you made your views on&nbsp;the gay community crystal c=
lear&nbsp;is burned in my memory.&nbsp; In fact, one might say, it is a sour=
ce of permanent inspiration.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Best,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Rose Huskey</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>