[Vision2020] Re: Liberalism and Diversity on the Palouse

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:56:45 -0800

Thanks to Steve Wells for his clippings from Credenda Agenda's Magistralis
column.  I've read Greg's work before, and yet this representative sampling
still has the power to astonish and dismay.

It's remarkable to me that such a harsh critic of pluralism would waste both
his time and ours with self-pitying complaints about the liberals of Moscow
rejecting his world view.  On what grounds (or, if you prefer, by what
standard) do the intolerant demand tolerance?  Or those without pity, mercy?
  Too bad that you're a lawyer and not a doctor, Greg.  I can't think of a
legal equivalent for physician heal thyself.  Perhaps attorney get a clue?

I'm not a man.  I'm not a Christian.  I'm not a heterosexual.  In the
theocratic America envisioned by Greg, I'd clearly be spoiled for choice.
Behind door number one, disenfranchisement and feminine submission.  Behind
door number two, forced conformity to Greg's version of Christianity.  As
for door number three, well, Greg will just pull a lever and I'll fall
through a hole in the floor.  (In the middle ages, these holes were called
oubliettes, from the French word meaning "to forget."  There was often an
iron spike embedded in the floor, which skewered the victim on his or her
way down.  You have to hand it to those feudal patriarchs so admired by the
Credenda Agenda crowd -- they knew a thing or two about phallic symbolism.)

Here's the grand irony of liberalism: despite what I can only describe as
his crackpot looneyism, there is nevertheless room for Greg in my vision of
Moscow.  Because I actually believe in diversity, pluralism, and freedom of
thought, speech and religion, I'm willing to share the Palouse with a man
who says that God wants me dead.  It doesn't matter that I think Greg is a
danger and a menace, a sloppy thinker and a theological tin-pot, I recognize
his right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and I insist on
his continued freedom to say and believe anything he likes.  But my
definition of tolerance does not include standing idly by while he and his
ilk pile up the rocks and round up the dissenters.  It does not include
eating popcorn and watching "Survivor" while would-be theocrats turn this
country into the Iranian States of America.  I will not try to silence them,
but I will criticize, I will keep tabs, and I will fight, fight, fight.

So let's get one thing clear: the definition of tolerance is not letting
people walk all over you.  That's the definition of doormat.

Welcome,

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment