[Vision2020] DUIs [formerly highway]

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco@moscow.com
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:59:23 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_00CF_01C3FD29.23E85120

Sunil, et al,

Since I haven't done any court watching since moving to Moscow 14 years ago,
I was unaware of the suspension of the DQ rule.  I do not know if this was
wise, since I know first hand by observation and investigation there are
judges who are unfair to certain defendants, attorneys (prosecution and
defense), and/or law enforcement officers.

I tend to believe based in part on reading and in part on interested
observation when the following things are present, the number of DUI
citations goes down significantly.

1.    Strict enforcement (zero tolerance) by well trained law enforcement
personnel.

2.    Use of video tape during the initial stop, during testing, and during
booking.

3.    A rigorous policy of prosecution with plea bargains only in cases
where acquittal seems to be the most probable outcome.

4.    Uniform and strict, fairly harsh sentences including jail time.

5.    The use of frequent bar stops by law enforcement to let bar patrons
know that there is a police presence and to keep bars from over-serving and
doing other things that contribute to alcohol-related irresponsible patron
behavior.

Sentencing is always a difficult question.  I think, however, it is better
public policy for the prosecution and the judge to err on the side of public
safety.  Also, harsh sentences sometimes jolt someone to get better control
of their life and in the long run they and their families are much better
off.

Wayne