[Vision2020] Let's Cut Rapunzel's Hair; or Why the UI needs a Revolution.

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:34:05 -0800

Dear Visionaries:

It has come to my attention that incoming UI President Timothy White won't
be making $162,000 per annum after all.  He'll be making $162,000 plus a
generous "supplemental compensation package" from the supposedly strapped UI
Foundation, an amount rumored to be in the neighborhood of $100,000.
Altogether, that's $262,000, give or take a few grand.  Plus a house and a
car.  And maybe a pony.  (Who knows?  Supplemental compensation isn't
defined.)

In another time and place, I might have bought the argument that a
university president deserves to be paid $262,000 plus free housing and
transport.  I'd have said that Dr. White's experience and academic
qualifications, not to mention the difficulty of the job at hand, justified
his salary.  But this isn't that time, and this isn't that place.  The
University of Idaho is so broke that it can't afford to run a university
press.  It's so short of funds that students are being crammed 100 and 150
to some core classes.  It's too poor to pay faculty, too poor to pay staff,
and too poor, it would seem, to pay attention.  Just like the poor old
snake, poor old UI doesn't have a pit to hiss in.

Some of this is the fault of the state legislature.  Those jokers in Boise
cut the UI's budget by thirty million dollars, ten million dollars a year
for three years.  Well, bugger tax cuts.  I don't know about you, but my
share the great tax savings ended up being just enough to buy a Cowboy
Burger at Applebee's.  Even if it had been more, I'd still rather have a
healthy, vital University of Idaho to send my children to in 2013 and 2018,
respectively, than a few extra dollars to dink around with now.

The rest is the fault of Bob Hoover, Jerry Wallace, and that sorry
collection of high-ranking Yes-men who sat around the UI Administration
building and nodded their heads up and down like so many bobble-head dolls
on the package shelf of a '68 Buick.  Eighteen million dollars disappeared
into the Black Hole of Bobcutta.  Eighteen million.  But where is Bob
Hoover?  And where is Jerry Wallace?  And where did we put those blindfolds
and cigarettes?  Like Kenneth Lay, they walked away, and lived to mismanage
another day.  (Note to Albertson's College: check your wallet.)

I wish Tim White well, I really do, but what I fear is that by offering the
incoming president $262,000 plus perks, in a school that's hemorrhaging
faculty, staff, and auxiliaries, we are perpetuating a cycle of imperial
administrations.  Yeah, yeah, I know that White's salary is the going rate
for college presidents.  I also know that college presidents' salaries are
nothing compared to the compensation and perks paid to corporate CEOs.  But
that doesn't make it right.  In this fiscal climate, it's dead wrong.
Universities are not corporations, education is not a product, and students
are not consumers.  In the university system, the provost is the chief
academic officer; the president is the chief administrator.  As far as
university governance is concerned, that belongs – or should belong – to the
faculty.  The institution needs to be democratic, not hierarchical.  Not
secretive.  Not top down.  Had they known about it, and been accorded their
rightful role in university governance, the faculty might have prevented the
Boise Place disaster.  They might have said, democratically, "Sorry Bob.
Sorry, Jerry.  We need that money right here in Moscow.  We need it for
recruitment and retention and staff support.  What we don't need are bricks
and sticks to impress the pricks who are wrecking this school down in Boise.
  Savvy?"

Perhaps you think me harsh.  Ha!  The original plans for Boise Place
featured a palatial suite of rooms for the UI President that would have
taken up the entire sixth floor.  This, while departments on campus were
running out of money for photocopy paper.  It's not our faculty who live in
an ivory tower; it's our imperial university presidents.  And you know how
they get up there?  They climb the Board of Regents' golden hair.  If only
we could dump this load of political hacks and elect our regents directly .
. . but I digress.

Friends, visionaries, and people whose computers are too slow to let you
delete before you read this, I am not a cynic.  I'm a critic, but I'm also
an optimist.  When things go wrong, I believe in proposing solutions.  So I
tell you what – why don't I make the Idaho Board of Education an offer they
would be fools to refuse?  I'll be president of the UI for thirty thousand a
year plus modest health benefits (I'd like a pair of glasses, a flu shot,
and a yearly dental cleaning); a modest retirement plan (a 401K will do);
and a small jar of pickled herring (for when alumni come over and I have to
entertain them.)

Sure, I haven't finished my PhD, and I've never been a university president.
  I've also never been a vice president, a provost, or a professor.  I have
been a student, a graduate student, and a poorly-paid, uninsured lecturer.
But my greatest qualification – and this is a biggie – is that I've never
pissed away eighteen million dollars of someone else's money.  I've never
planned to build a palace for myself while my underlings had to scrounge
around for ballpoint pens.  I've never caused massive layoffs and employee
displacements because I was financially incompetent, surrounded by cronies,
and blissfully free from criticism.  (I accidentally bounced a check once,
but I made immediate restitution and paid the $20 returned check fee.)

As for my positive attributes, I'm honest.  I don't backstab; I front stab.
I have a temper, sure, but God knows I don't sublimate it.  When you catch
hell from me, you catch it directly and in person.  No behind the scenes
Machiavellian bullshit; no sending proxies to do my dirty work; no plausible
deniability; and no third party hatchet-men.  For good or ill, I autograph
all of my handiwork.

My agenda, such as it is, is entirely transparent.  I think universities
exist to facilitate teaching, education, research, and outreach.  It's true
that sports are important to me, but they're so important that I think
everyone ought to have the chance to play.  To that end, my first act as
President will be to abolish the university's semi-professional (and we all
know that any state school's amateur status is nothing more than a polite
fiction) football and basketball teams and replace them with lots and lots
of intramural sports.  Football for the masses, rather than football for the
elite few.  Baseball, softball, basketball, lacrosse, hockey, field hockey,
rowing, archery, you name it, I'll support it.  With the money we'll save on
coaches, fancy swimming pools, and gold-plated locker rooms, we'll be more
than able to pay for all the necessary bats and balls and sticks and pucks.
I also think that we'll finally begin to really promote and encourage the
values of good sportsmanship.  Remember those?  The added bonuses -- that
we'll be blissfully free of any potential Bobby Knights or that Colorado
football jackass, and that we'll clear off a four million dollar debt in the
blink of an eye -- are just icing on the cake.

Once I'm done fixing the UI – and if I fail, you can fire me with just
thirty days notice rather than a sweetheart severance deal including a brand
new job for more pay at another university in the state – I think I'll run
for President of the United States.  I've never cheated on my wife, so
that's a point in my favor, and I'm not likely to because . . . well,
because she'd clobber me.  Also, unlike the current occupant of the Oval
Office, I don't have a criminal record.  I've never been arrested for drunk
driving.  I did get a speeding ticket once for going 63 in that 45 zone
between the Moscow Cemetery and the Elks' Club Golf Course, but I paid the
fine and got some auto insurance premium therapy for my lead foot.

Brothers and sisters, I am cured.  Now I drive like Granny Clampett with an
astigmatism.  So vote for me.  Put me in office.  Give me a chance.  What a
bargain!

What the puck?

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx