[Vision2020] Supreme court ruling

Don Coombs mushroom@moscow.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:06:47 -0800

DonovArn@aol.com wrote:
> I am such a liberal, I actually oppose this ruling, as a liberal. Here
> is why.
>
> It is not because I think that local tax payers should fund private
> religious beliefs. It is because it is the state controlling what we as
> individuals want to learn and study.
>
> I fear the government saying, "You cannot learn about this", or "You can
> only learn that which we approve of you to learn."
>
> What if I want to go to school and learn about Christianity, Islam,
> Hinduism, and Judaism and compare the four, write a book and earn a
> living that way?

That would be called studying religion and would certainly qualify for
public scholarship money. What is ruled out by the Supreme Court is
enrolling with a religious institution to learn about that particular
religion and be certified to minister to the followers of that religion.

I think that for once the Supreme Court got something right.

Don Coombs