[Vision2020] Macho Culture

Tim Lohrmann timlohr@yahoo.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:03:03 -0800 (PST)

--0-1569909823-1077728583=:67609

Dick,
     You're certainly reading quite a lot into what Mr. Carscallen wrote.
     He made that comment in the context of whether it is reasonable to expect that a person voluntarily entering the army should have some idea of what he was getting into before signing up and accepting economic benefits.
     Do you have an alternative explanation for the purposes of the Army and the military in general?
       TL

Amy & Richard Newsome <amyrichard.newsome@verizon.net> wrote:
Mr. Carscallen,

You wrote:

Isn't the main purpose of a military to kill enemies and break their
things?

DC

I understand this kind of macho rhetoric is currently in vogue in conservative circles, but it seems so simpleminded. It's especially disturbing given the deaths occurring on a daily basis in Iraq.  It's been my experience that people who say/write things like that have deep insecurities, but that's not you of course.  I'm sure you'll impress us all with your daring service under fire, killing enemies and breaking things.

Richard Newsome

--0-1569909823-1077728583=:67609

<DIV>Dick,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You're certainly reading quite a lot into what Mr. Carscallen wrote. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; He made that comment in the context of whether it is reasonable&nbsp;to expect that&nbsp;a person voluntarily entering the army should have some idea of what he was getting into before signing up and accepting economic benefits. &nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Do you have an alternative explanation for the purposes of the Army and the military in general? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; TL</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR><BR><B><I>Amy &amp; Richard Newsome &lt;amyrichard.newsome@verizon.net&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<STYLE></STYLE>

<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Mr. Carscallen,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>You wrote:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT><BR>Isn't the main purpose of a military to kill enemies and break their<BR>things?<BR><BR>DC</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I understand this kind of macho rhetoric is currently in vogue in conservative circles, but it seems so simpleminded. It's especially disturbing&nbsp;given the&nbsp;deaths occurring on a daily basis in Iraq. &nbsp;It's been my experience that people who say/write things like that have deep insecurities, but that's not you of course. &nbsp;I'm sure you'll impress us all with your daring service under fire, killing enemies and breaking things.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Richard Newsome</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-1569909823-1077728583=:67609--