[Vision2020] College athletics

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846@hotmail.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:56:03 -0800

To be something of a devil's advocate, I put forth the unhappy truth that,
like it or not, a strong athletic program has become a very important part
of a strong university.  A few months ago, Sports Illustrated had a story
about the football program at Rutgers.  Their winning record almost makes
the Vandals look like Ohio State.  The president of Rutgers is committed to
turning that around, for some very unathletic reasons.  I can't cite exact
facts and figures as I'm pulling this out of my fading memory bank, but the
article mentioned how a successful athletic program, and particularly
winning football teams, have a direct effect on the overall strength of the
university.  Alumni donations, and even legislative financial support,
increase commensurately with success on the playing field.  In the skewed
perception that America now has of the importance of college athletics, the
university is only as viable as the 18 to 22 year olds representing it in
sports. Your football team finished 9-3 and went to a bowl game?  What a
great university you must be.  Your team finished 3-9?  What a rotten
university you must be.  You'll get no money from me.  Is this fair?  No.
Is it right?  No.  But, in today's landscape, it's reality.

                           Carl Westberg Jr.

Take off on a romantic weekend or a family adventure to these great U.S.
locations. http://special.msn.com/local/hotdestinations.armx