[Vision2020] Amendments

David Douglas ddouglas@pacsim.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:58:27 -0500

Tom,

You  write:

	"You know.  The one that Reagan tossed away back in the eighties."

I didn't know, actually--and I still don't.  I don't mind a good rhetorical
flourish, but good rhetoric should be adorn accuracy, which that statement
lacks (unless I missed something; if I did, I'll be happy to stand
corrected).  I Goggled "Equal Rights Amendment".

.
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_amendment  :

An amendment is added to the constitution in 2 ways.  The pertinent way
here:  An amendment gets 2/3 vote of both houses of congress and then is
sent to the state legislatures.  3/4 of them must ratify the amendment.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Rights_Amendment  :

Congress passed the amendment, with a ratification deadline.  3/4 of the
states did not ratify it within that time.  The deadline was extended.  No
new states ratified the amendment, and some rescinded their support.
Similar amendments have been re-introduced into Congress, but none have
passed out of Congress.

The amendment process was followed and the amendment was not added to the
constitution.  Your problem is with the state legislatures then (and with
congress now).  Reagan did not agree with the amendment; his administration
may not have supported it and argued against any deadlines extensions  (the
final judgment would have been the supreme court's, however).  What he could
*not* have done is stopped the amendment had the states ratified it prior to
the congressionally set deadline.

--
David Douglas