[Vision2020] Oh, economic justice, where for art thou?

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:51:05 -0800

Tom offers a valuable correction to my previous post, for which I thank him:

>As much of a Vandal fanatic as I am (especially when it comes to football),
>can name several Vandals that have gone on (and currently are in) the NFL.

Good.  Perhaps we can apply to the NFL for a kick-back.

Then he adds:

>The BOTTOM LINE of a university is EDUCATION.  Don't get me wrong.  In no
>way
>do I want an end to our football program.  They can have my season tickets
>once
>they pry them from my cold, dead fingers.
>
>For the life of me, I cannot see any justifiable reason for terminating a
>productive program such as the University Press.
>
>What the university needs is (what is called in teh service) a manpower
>survey.  Require each department to justify the necessity of each and every
>position currently on the UI payroll.  I am willing to bet that there will
>be
>alot of new faces down at Job Service (maybe even me).

Right.  I agree.  But let's start at the top.  In the past, the UI has
balanced its budget on the backs of students, staff, and untenured faculty.
The hatchet falls first on the custodians, then on the clerical workers, and
then on the lecturers.  During my time there, there were numerous budget
cuts and state holdbacks, but, all the while, Bob Hoover's collection of
highly paid vice provosts and vice presidents just seemed to grow like
Topsy.  So did Zinzer's before him.

I say let's really make a fresh start here.  Let's sell the UI President's
university-supplied house.  Let's sell his university-supplied car.  Tim
White will be earning $160,000 per year plus perks and benefits; surely he
can afford to buy a nice place for himself up on College Hill and a lovely
Ford Taurus, a two-tone black and gold one.  Now, I'm not stingy -- I think
we should reimburse him for mileage -- and I really do wish the new
president all the best.  But just like Bob Hoover, Dr. White no doubt has a
golden parachute written into his contract.  If, God forbid, he fails, does
anyone imagine that he won't coast into another job at somewhere like, oh,
say, Albertson's College?  Ex-university presidents never seem to wind up as
Wal-Mart greeters.

I'm not a Marxist.  I'm just in search of some economic justice.  In Search
Of . . . at this point, I doubt if even Leonard Nimoy could it.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

PS: I know I'm violating the two posts a day rule, but, man, I'm ticked!  My
sincere apologies to any Visionaries who might be bored, but I warn you --
just use the damn delete key or I'll be onto you next.  And I'm sure you
don't want your neighbors humming a scurrilous song about you to the tune of
"Freebird."

Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free!