[Vision2020] Universities, university presses, and Titanic folly

thansen@moscow.com thansen@moscow.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:11:11 GMT

As much of a Vandal fanatic as I am (especially when it comes to football), I
can name several Vandals that have gone on (and currently are in) the NFL.

However . . .

The BOTTOM LINE of a university is EDUCATION.  Don't get me wrong.  In no way
do I want an end to our football program.  They can have my season tickets once
they pry them from my cold, dead fingers.

For the life of me, I cannot see any justifiable reason for terminating a
productive program such as the University Press.

What the university needs is (what is called in teh service) a manpower
survey.  Require each department to justify the necessity of each and every
position currently on the UI payroll.  I am willing to bet that there will be
alot of new faces down at Job Service (maybe even me).

Times are tough.  You have to tighten the purse strings.  You don't start by
eliminating a productive program.

Tom Hansen

           http://www.fsr.net/