[Vision2020] Universities, university presses, and Titanic folly

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:34:36 -0800

Dear Visionaries:

It is my understanding that the University of Idaho Press was the only
university press in the state, and its importance to this community and to
Idaho as a whole cannot be overestimated.  The job of the UI -- the job of
any university -- is to educate, to promote sound research, and to support
academic inquiry and publication.  Interim President Gary Michael's decision
to close the UI Press will do irreparable harm to the institution.

The argument that the UI needs to choose between its self-supporting
academic press and having a women's swim team is a red herring.  No such
choice is necessary.  For heaven's sake, how much does a women's swim team
cost?  What are we talking about here -- two poorly-paid coaches and a
couple of Speedos?  The UI could fire one assistant football coach and pay
for the entire swim team, plus hire Esther Williams to do twice-nightly
Busby Berkeley shows in the UI pool.

This university, like many others, needs to make its mind up about its
mission.  Why is an academic press making money on the chopping block while
an athletic department hemorraghing big bucks is exempt?  Does the UI want
to be an institution of higher learning or does it want to be a football
mill?  The choice, at least to me, seems obvious.  As a university, we're
pretty good.  Our engineering graduates are top-notch.  We produce terrific
teachers and chemists and writers and business folk; biologists, wildlife
managers, soil scientists, geologists, and agricultural researchers.  The
academic work performed on the UI campus repays the state in untold
millions.  Every time someone comes up with a higher protein wheat or a
faster growing, more disease-resistant potato, Idaho makes money.  Lots of
money.

But as a football mill -- well, sorry, fans, we're piss-poor.  How many UI
players have gone on to the NFL?  The UI grads living in this house (and
there are three, plus two more just up the hill) can only think of a few,
and that's after scratching their heads for about half an hour.  As a
basketball mill, of course, the UI fares even worse.  The only name anyone
could come up with was Guy Johnson, who we think went on to play
pro-basketball for an NBA team that used to be called the Maryland Bullets.

Listen.  We're not Oklahoma.  We're not Northwestern.  We're not Colorado,
or California, or Florida State.  And I'm glad.  I like football; I love
basketball.  I was delighted when my alma mater, NC State, won the NCAA
Tournament in 1983.  In fact, I was ecstatic, but in the great scheme of
things, so what?  NC State is a school, not a team.  The UI is a school, not
a collection of fast swimmers.

Not that I think we should underrate fast swimming.  If we've reached the
point where the UI feels that it can justify closing its press by pretending
it needs to save a swim team, then it's time to change our name to the S.S.
Titanic, get the band to play "Nearer My God to Thee," jump on into the
water and Mark Spitz our way to the nearest iceberg.  The old rust bucket is
going down.

And shut up with that "My Heart Will Go On" crap.  That got flushed down the
budget toilet with Bob Hoover's Boise Teapot Dome.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment