[Vision2020] Does size matter?

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:02:08 -0800

>That is just it, Joan.  I am sure that the Dougster does speak for his
>850 "people".  They dare not step out of line and speak independently.
>That
>goes against the very teachings of Christ Church.
>
>Dontcha think?

Maybe, but then again, maybe not.  As I said, a good number (perhaps even
the majority) of those 850 are minor children.  When I was a kid, my dad
spoke for me, whether I liked it or not.  When we went out for pizza, he
ordered green peppers and onions.  I hate green peppers and onions.  When I
got to be old enough to hold a job and buy my own pizza, I ordered black
olives and mushrooms.  My father and I disagree on a whole host of issues --
political, religious, social, and familial.  He doesn't speak for me, and I
very much doubt that Doug speaks for 850 anyones, man, woman, or child.
That might be the great man's dream, but I have some experience of
charismatic churches, and I've never known it to describe reality.  (And
before anyone brings up Jim Jones and Kool-aid, I'd like to remind you that
even in that worst case scenario, a sizable number did not drink willingly.
They were murdered.)

I also want to say something here that I haven't said very clearly before,
and that's that I extend the hand of friendship to any and all Kirkers who
attend Christ Church but do not agree with their pastor's views on slavery,
or women's rights, or church governance, or what it really means to be a
disciple of Christ.  Despite Doug's best efforts to convince those of us on
the outside, and, more importantly, those on the inside, that Christ Church
is dissent-free and monolithic, I don't believe that.  There has been too
much evidence posted on this list and elsewhere to support such a view, and
believing it plays into Doug's vision of himself as an all-powerful mover
and shaker.

Threats.  Intimidation.  Fear of loss of community and financial
retribution.  These are not the hallmarks of a church in full communion.
These are the hallmarks of a total institution, and of a man who desperately
wants to keep people apart who could and should come together.

I like my friends to be many and varied.  And you know what, they are.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

Click, drag and drop. My MSN is the simple way to design your homepage.