[Vision2020] Does size matter?

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:14:07 -0800

In a response to Donovan Arnold, which I've unfortunately deleted, Eric
Engebretsen observes that Doug Wilson's followers represent the "largest
church movement" in Moscow, or on the Palouse, or some other such regional
claim of enormity.  My question is, on what exactly does Eric base this
claim?  Doug's famous "I speak for 850 people" speech at city hall during
the fight over the breast ordinance?  I hope not because, by my estimate,
more than half of that number are in fact the children of church members
and, as such, not yet old enough to vote.

Or is Eric basing his claim on percentage growth?  If so, then that's
tricky, too.  The Church of Auntie Establishment has one member, me.  But
say I managed to convince Melynda and Rose to leave the Quakers and join the
C of AE -- then my church would have grown by 200%.  Surely that would make
me the fastest growing church movement.  Now, if I could just convert my
sisters, my mother, and my agnostic border collie, I could terrify you all
with my religious take-over plans.

It's claims like Eric's that push people over the edge.  They skew reality,
for both community members concerned about Doug's agenda, and for the
Kirkers themselves, who might wonder when big enough will finally be big
enough.  Just for a change of pace, I suggest we stop for a moment and take
a good look around us.  Judging from the steeple, it looks to me like a new
Mormon stakehouse is going up on the hill behind Wal-Mart.  Moscow's two
Catholic churches seem rather full and vigorous; the Lutherans, the
Nazarenes, and the Presbyterians are no slouches.  We have at least three
Baptist churches, and possibly more.  (Given the old Baptist penchant for
splitting the congregation and having the splinter groups meet in living
rooms and warehouses until a new church can be built, they can be hard to
count.  The same is true of Evangelical churches.  They rise, they grow,
they split.)  We have Christian Scientists, Scientologists, the Impact
Church, the Rock Church, the Ba'Hai, the Pagani, Seven Drums, Muslims, Jews,
Congregationalists, Unitarians, and my old friends the Quakers.  We have
atheists, agnostics, and those who worship every Sunday at the Church of the
NFL.  The Palouse is a broad place, religiously and philosophically diverse.

So I think we should try to keep that ongoing and vital diversity in mind as
we continue our debate about the future of this town.  I don't care about
Doug's religious movement; I care about his worldview, and his use of
religion as a platform from which to launch what is self-evidently a
political agenda, all disingenuous claims to the contrary.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

"I say I'm cutting, boy, but you're not bleeding."  -- Foghorn Leghorn

Auntie Establishment
Serving Idaho's liberal elite since 1993

Find and compare great deals on Broadband access at the MSN High-Speed