[Vision2020] Ralph Nader

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846@hotmail.com
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:27:54 -0800

As a Democrat who was initially furious with Ralph Nader for throwing his
hat into the ring, with the danger of a repeat of the 2000 election outcome,
I feel somewhat mollified by an editorial in this morning's New York Times.
To quote, "If Mr. Nader didn't learn anything from the 2000 election, the
voters certainly did.  People may have voted for him once under the
impression that sending a message was more important than picking the next
president.  We doubt very much that they will make the same mistake twice."
The stakes are too high this time around for very many Democrats to throw
their vote away on Nader.  The editiorial ends with this paragraph:  "The
most regrettable thing about Mr. Nader's new candidacy is not how it is
likely to affect the election, but how it will affect Mr. Nader's own
legacy.  Ralph Nader has been one of the giants of the American reform
movement.  His crusades for consumer rights and product safety alone should
earn him a place in history.  But he has always been an outsider, and his
candidacy in 2000 seemed fueled by bitterness at the way he had been
marginalized in Democratic politics.  His anger is understandable, but it
would be a tragedy if Mr. Nader allowed it to give the story of his career a
sad and bitter ending."  Obviously, in Idaho, this is a moot point.  George
"Elite Force Aviator" Bush wins our 4 electoral votes, no matter what.

                                        Carl Westberg Jr.

Find and compare great deals on Broadband access at the MSN High-Speed