[Vision2020] Re: Question for Doug Wilson

Eric Engerbretson eric@eric-e.com
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:05:44 -0800

--Apple-Mail-6-471696833

On Feb 20, 2004, at 7:18 PM, DonovArn@aol.com wrote:

> Actually, I don't give a rip what Doug Wilson thinks, assuming he does=20=

> at all,=A0about this or any other issue. And for the life of me I =
cannot=20
> comprehend why anyone would really care what he thinks about anything.
> =A0
> Can someone please explain to me the fascination of knowing what Mr.=20=

> Wilson thinks?
> Is it boredom? I don't get it at all.
> =A0
> Donovan J Arnold

Since you asked, Donovan, I'll try to explain. I agree... you don't get=20=

it.

I certainly see your point. Some people do seem to be obsessed. But it=20=

is pretty simple. This list is supposed to be discussion about making=20
Moscow a better place. That would certainly need to include discussion=20=

about things that would make Moscow a worse place.  Now, Doug Wilson is=20=

pastor of the largest church movement in this town, and it holds=20
beliefs that to most Muscovites are controversial. This makes what he=20
says and thinks pretty important. It divides the town into two types of=20=

people-- those who think Doug Wilson can help Moscow, and those who=20
think Doug Wilson will hurt Moscow. Both sets of people would be pretty=20=

irresponsible not to pursue understanding of what such a man thinks and=20=

says.  Most people in town have read or heard first hand some of the=20
man's thoughts, and most people agree the man has a prolific brain and=20=

an education. Thinking people realize that such a powerful mind and=20
expert communicator is either a great danger or a great help to the=20
community. Therefore he needs to be heard-- to either condemn him or=20
learn from him.

You can't "for the life of you" comprehend why anyone cares what Doug=20
Wilson thinks, and you wonder if he does think?
The only people here not thinking are the ones who are so closed-minded=20=

that they can't see past their own opinions. I used to think that=20
conservatives were generally closed-minded and intolerant, and liberals=20=

where open-minded and tolerant. With the people I've met since coming=20
to Moscow, the exact opposite has been true.

The most fascinating thing here, Donovan, in your "not getting" Bill=20
London's care of what Doug Wilson thinks, is the fact that you have=20
completely ignored the most amazing part of this.  Bill London would=20
consider himself an opponent of Doug Wilson. Bill London just debated=20
Doug Wilson. Bill London is a smart man, that I doubt you would want to=20=

publicly debate. And yet, HE cares what Doug Wilson thinks. AND, Bill=20
London writes a perfectly amiable, honest intellectual inquiry to Doug=20=

without a hint of rancor.  Doug writes a reasonable response, and Bill=20=

posts that response. Obviously, Bill knows a great deal about Doug's=20
mind, since he just debated him, and he seems to be perhaps more=20
honestly interested in Doug's thoughts than before the debate.  He may=20=

not agree with him any more than before, but he is still interested in=20=

what Doug Wilson thinks. And it looks like Bill and Doug respect each=20
other and are willing to and even enjoy carrying on reasonable=20
discussion and learning from each other.

While you rave about "not getting it", and others waste time finding=20
creative ways to be mean, Doug Wilson and Bill London are acting like=20
we all should be acting.

I, for one, happen to care what everyone thinks.  This town is full of=20=

educated people. Some educated people want to keep on being educated.=20
And some educated people just want to sit on their diploma and be=20
proud. At the moment we all have to face God, some people are going to=20=

be very surprised at how little their "education" was worth.

Best regards,

Eric E.

--Apple-Mail-6-471696833

I don't give a rip what Doug Wilson thinks, assuming he does at
all,=A0about this or any other issue. And for the life of me I cannot
comprehend why anyone would really care what he thinks about =
pt>

=

someone please explain to me the fascination of knowing what Mr.
Wilson =

boredom? I don't get it at =

=

J =

</excerpt>

Since you asked, Donovan, I'll try to explain. I agree... you don't
get it. =20

I certainly see your point. Some people do seem to be obsessed. But it
is pretty simple. This list is supposed to be discussion about making
Moscow a better place. That would certainly need to include discussion
about things that would make Moscow a worse place.  Now, Doug Wilson
is pastor of the largest church movement in this town, and it holds
beliefs that to most Muscovites are controversial. This makes what he
says and thinks pretty important. It divides the town into two types
of people-- those who think Doug Wilson can help Moscow, and those who
think Doug Wilson will hurt Moscow. Both sets of people would be
pretty irresponsible not to pursue understanding of what such a man
thinks and says.  Most people in town have read or heard first hand
some of the man's thoughts, and most people agree the man has a
prolific brain and an education. Thinking people realize that such a
powerful mind and expert communicator is either a great danger or a
great help to the community. Therefore he needs to be heard-- to
either condemn him or learn from him. =20

You can't "for the life of you" comprehend why anyone cares what Doug
Wilson thinks, and you wonder if he does think?

The only people here not thinking are the ones who are so
closed-minded that they can't see past their own opinions. I used to
think that conservatives were generally closed-minded and intolerant,
and liberals where open-minded and tolerant. With the people I've met
since coming to Moscow, the exact opposite has been true.

The most fascinating thing here, Donovan, in your "not getting" Bill
London's care of what Doug Wilson thinks, is the fact that you have
completely ignored the most amazing part of this.  Bill London would
consider himself an opponent of Doug Wilson. Bill London just debated
Doug Wilson. Bill London is a smart man, that I doubt you would want
to publicly debate. And yet, HE cares what Doug Wilson thinks. AND,
Bill London writes a perfectly amiable, honest intellectual inquiry to
Doug without a hint of rancor.  Doug writes a reasonable response, and
Bill posts that response. Obviously, Bill knows a great deal about
Doug's mind, since he just debated him, and he seems to be perhaps
more honestly interested in Doug's thoughts than before the debate.=20
He may not agree with him any more than before, but he is still
interested in what Doug Wilson thinks. And it looks like Bill and Doug
respect each other and are willing to and even enjoy carrying on
reasonable discussion and learning from each other.

While you rave about "not getting it", and others waste time finding
creative ways to be mean, Doug Wilson and Bill London are acting like
we all should be acting.=20