[Vision2020] Is Zume's on the market?

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:26:05 -0800

Wayne writes:

>Whatever business goes into the allegedly soon-to-be-vacant space of Zume
>should recognize what a remarkable asset the other tenant in the building,
>New Saint Andrews College, is.

You know, I was going to resist this temptation, I really was.  But the
flesh is weak, particularly when the spirit is willing.  I submit this
without comment on the fate of Zume's, but in the spirit of thinking about
businesses that might be compatible with the GTE building's upstairs
residents.

Blessed Insurance: You only thought you were in good hands with Allstate.

The Abomination Station: You're not certain if your new polyester/wool blend
Sears Roebuck suit passes Biblical muster (Lev. 19:19), or you ate a shrimp
cocktail and need to know if you're going to hell (Lev. 11:10).  Stop by.
We'll tell you.

Submission Transmission : Where your husband is always in the driver's seat.

What a Friend We Have in G-String: Moscow's answer to Victoria's Secret.

Eat a Sweet, Buy and Buy: Forget about the Atkins diet.  Carbe diem.

Scareway to Heaven: Moscow's newest music store, selling one CD and one CD
only, featuring this song by a local guitar minister turned theologian,
turned author, turned historian, classicist, professor, brain surgeon, and
double-nought spy.  (My goodness -- he's beginning to sound like Jethro
Bodine.)

Pretend Jimmy Page is here with us and sing along with me . . .

There's a preacher who knows
All that glitters is gold
And he's trying to scare you
To heaven.

When he gets there he knows
That the doors will be closed
To gays, feminists, Buddhists, Mormons,
And Catholics.

And he's not sure about you,
If you happen to be a Jew,
And you won't convert,
Before the Rapture.

Ooh, ooh, ooh,
Ooh, ooh, ooh,
And he's trying to scare you,
To heaven.

(Okay, now for the screechy bit.)

And as he winds on down the road,
He'll try to squash you like a toad.
His ego's big, his heart is cold.
Shut your mouth, do what you're told.

But if you listen very hard,
The truth will come to you at last,
That it's all hot air and lard,
Not a rock but just bad gas.

(And, finally, pianissimo.)

And he's trying
To scare you
To heaven.

Submitted humbly and with profound apologies to Robert Plant,

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

PS:  Recalling that the poems of Emily Dickinson were ruined for me when a
professor pointed out that they could all be sung to the tune of "The Yellow
Rose of Texas," please note that I have left "Black Dog" and "The Immigrant
Song" intact and unmolested by shameful parody.