[Vision2020] the shrill get shriller

ben merkle benmerkle@moscow.com
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:33:59 -0800

Visonistas,

I apologize for falling behind in my duties of late. I do hope to get
another post on the Hate Splotch shortly and have been chiding myself
nonstop for my internet slothfulness. I thought I would do a post denouncing
Doug Jones' article on the Trinity. I had been hesitant before to speak out,
since I'm not much of a Trinitarian scholar. But apparently that isn't
stopping anyone else right now. Enough of those Cappadocians and who gives a
rip about perichoresis. Jones is a heretic and we don't need to read a book
to intuitively feel it. Sheesh.

            But on to more important matters. This is the question that I
ask myself, and you must admit it is perplexing. How does one respond to Mr.
Fox? His obsession with the pornographic is a bit troubling and not
something I care to get too intimate with. He has, as another described him
to me, "potty fingers." But even more frightening is how he begins to
fulfill the predictions made in the ads that Christ Church put in the paper
at the beginning of the local controversy. After pointing out how boring the
"Not in our town" campaign is, the ad comments "We worry that this dullness
of life will spread throughout our region. Without a check on this, infants,
too, will soon wag their fingers like prairie school marms, and high
schoolers will fail to get punch lines." Behold with horror, it has already
begun! The very dullness predicted is parading before us.

            I think the only thing I can say to Mr. Fox, is quit being so
serious. Try humor Wayne. Try irony. Your current trajectory only takes you
fouler and fouler. All you can do is turn up the volume of the profanity.
What is next? Cuss words? Or maybe more sexual innuendo? Those are so
predictable. Where's the wit? The shrillness of the Intoleristas has gotten
so piercing of late that it would seem the noon siren has been stuck in the
on position. You are even driving off your fellow liberals.

            Of course this isn't surprising, since secularism always goes
shrill when you poke it. But in the Heart of the Arts we expected a little
creativity or cleverness to go with the shrill. But let me leave you with
some comedy, since it's so rare on this list these days. Wilson leaves the
list and it is chocked up to Rose's castrating wit. That is humor. There is
hope. Wayne told a funny.

Dig it.

Ben Merkle