[Vision2020] Most Wanted

Dick Schmidt dickschmidt@moscow.com
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 08:16:28 -0800

Andreas,

My grandfather, a Russian-German, came to this country, LEGALLY,  in 1911 so
his family would have a better life. They first went to California and
worked in the fields hoeing, picking fruit and that type of work as migrant
laborers. They then moved to Michigan and worked in the fields also mainly
hoeing, blocking and thinning sugar beets and then harvesting those beets in
the fall and doing other work for farmers. They eventually made enough money
to buy a farm and then continued to improve their life from there.

When I was a kid growing up on the farm we had Mexican migrant laborers who
worked our beets and they were treated very well by my parents because my
dad had "been there".  We took them milk and vegetables from the garden and
provided them a house to live in. At that time the state had very strict
rules on migrant laborers as to housing and  health issues.

Today the rich businessmen and farmers don't want the present situation of
allowing illegal immigrants in this country to change. They want to be able
to exploit the workers, pay them very low wages and treat them like slaves.
Look at the recent incident in Arizona where there were 160 illegals in one
house. They are excellent workers and are physically able to do that "stoop
labor" and pick fruit all day long. They too want a better life for their
families but there must be a legal way to make it happen. It is going to be
hard to make happen because the politicians don't want it to change because
they want their votes.

It would be interesting to know how many of the Washington State most wanted
list have been exploited by greedy employers and human smugglers.

Dick Schmidt