[Vision2020] my phony degree

ben merkle benmerkle@moscow.com
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:47:44 -0800

Tom writes:

> Virtually all "faculty" at NSA criticise degrees as being insignificant
and
> meaningless.  Yet, the Merk wishes to claim that his pending Masters
degree
> and his future PhD (awarded by virue of his ability to write and affix a
> 37-cent stamp to an envelope) are more valuable than either Joan's or Nick
> Gier's degrees.

Not quite. Never said degrees are meaningless. You'd be hard pressed to find
virtually all the faculty saying that. In fact, this shouldn't be hard to
miss, we're in the business of giving them. I just don't burn incense to
them nightly. I wouldn't for an instant think my pending degree was a better
degree than Nick or Joan's. In fact, I will go so far as to confess coveting
Old Norse and Gothic. So many things to learn, so little time.
Ben