[Vision2020] Voting and Protesting: History's Lessons?

thansen@moscow.com thansen@moscow.com
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:47:05 GMT

I feel that if we are to retain the Electoral College, the "levelest" way to do
so would be to award electoral votes based on percentage of popular votes won.

Example:

The state of Umpidiamp has 100 electoral votes.  100,000 Upidiamps voted in the
election.

Candidate Dumb received 265,239 popular votes.

Candidate Dumber received 452,199 popular votes.

The remaining votes were scattered over 1,000 other candidates.

My concept would award 27 electoral votes to Candidate Dum and award 45
electoral votes to Candidate Dumber.

I believe that there are a couple states that are already using this system.

This system also makes the individual's vote more significant than under the
old "majority gets all" system.

Any thoughts?

Tom Hansen
Moscow,