[Vision2020] I'm sick of hearing people being sick of the controversy

Sara Anderson ande1022@uidaho.edu
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:05:30 -0500

Mr. Arnold,

There has been no violence (that I know of, and you'd think V2020 would be the place to hear about it) in Moscow/Pullman related to the Christ Church controversy.

I'm going to give you the short(ish) answer to the reason I am not going to stop posting or reading about the situation.  As I post here, Wilson is actively recruiting people to this (strategic and feasible) town, to use it in his battle against secularism, femnism, etc.  Whereas most of the residents of this town are not compelled by his goals, he needs us to stay quiet while he and his cronies do their best to buy up businesses downtown and create more and more influence in WSU and UI.  See Mark Potok's speech from Friday night.

I don't think this spells national doom.  There are 15,000 members of the league of the south, and the highest estimates of the attendees of the history conference were 800.  So, 20,000 people tops do not a theocratic revolution (slow or not, Mr. Wilson) make.  However, this is where I grew up and I like this town.  I like the peculiarly harmonious blend of hippies and rednecks and college students who don't have any idea what's going on.  I think the landscape is gorgeous, and I have no doubt that I'll end up back here some day.  I don't want to find that it's become a fundamentalist utopia, and for that matter making Idaho the butt of even more jokes.

In conclusion, I encourage you to read Mark Potok's speech, and spend some time googling terms like "christian reconstructionism" "theonomy" or "theocracy".  Read Southern Slavery As it Was, and compare it to the media you've seen.  The amount of doublespeak is tremendous, and no one has an excuse to be fooled by it.  You might not be interested in talking about it, but, really, posting a few times a day about that isn't a good way to bring down the volume of messages that are sent to you.

Sincerely,
Sara Anderson