[Vision2020] Politics and privilege

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:14:15 -0800

Thanks for your observations, Tom.  According to Kevin Phillips, and again,
this is from American Dynasty, p. 44-45:

"It had been against navy regulations in 1942 to place eighteen-year-old
George Bush in flight training, and the Los Angeles Times found a similar
bending of the rules twenty-six years later.  George W. did not qualify for
either a direct commission or flight training.  Tom Hail, the historian of
the Texas National Guard, explained that direct commissions were 'for
doctors only, mostly because we needed extra flight surgeons.'  The air
force flight-instruction program was also a favor, because such expensive
training would not normally be given to a green candidate who had shown no
professional commitment."

You know what burns my butt?  A flame about three feet high, but apart from
that, it's people in unearned positions of privilege and power.  I'd hate
George Bush's politics even if he were a self-made man, but I dislike him
personally because I dislike nepotism.  I'm an idealist; I really believe in
American democracy.  I believe in its evolution from a small group of white
male property owners, freeing themselves from the yoke of the English
monarchy, into a system of near universal enfranchisement.  I think that
dynastic political families are antithetical to democracy.  I think that
untaxed inherited wealth -- and I'm not talking about the family farm here,
but about massive, multi-generational fortunes -- creates a de facto
aristocracy that, once entrenched, won't be shifted from power until we have
a second American Revolution.

Conservative pundits like George Will and Tucker Carlson argue that of
course the richest one percent of Americans should get the largest tax
breaks because they pay most tax.  That's fair, right?  But they don't pay
the most tax.  You and I do.  We're the ones propping up Medicare and Social
Security and the 500 billion dollar budget deficit, and it'll be our kids
who struggle to pay those debts off.  The reason they'll be struggling is
because their 15-dollar-an-hour jobs will have moved to Mexico and China
where they can be done by the desperate for fifty cents.  The rich will get
richer, the poor will get poorer, and soon, we'll find that we no longer
have a first world economy.  We'll find that we're on the debt-ridden
outskirts of a gated enclave, inside of which are the well-connected and the
born-lucky, who let in just enough highly paid sports stars and
boob-flashing pop singers to make us think that maybe, just maybe, Horatio
Alger stories still happen for real.

The solution?  I don't have all of it, but I think I've got part.  Educate
yourself.  Register to vote.  Get involved in politics, not just on the
state and federal levels, but locally.  This isn't a Democrat or a
Republican thing.  It's a participation thing; it's a fighting apathy thing.

You still have a democracy: use it or lose it.  Or, as Mae West said to the
Bishop, "Wake up.  You're getting screwed."

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

Create your own personal Web page with the info you use most, at My MSN.