[Vision2020] "for the love of God, let's not let the USA become Gilead"

Aldoussoma@aol.com Aldoussoma@aol.com
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 23:36:47 EST

--part1_7a.5061ade7.2d5716df_boundary

All:

For a fictional account of a theocratic patriarchal dictatorship set in a
possible future (here in the USA?) read "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood,
or for the
film version, view the adaptation worked from Harold Pinter's screenplay
titled "The Handmaid's Tale" with excellent performances (in my opinion) by Robert
Duvall, Faye Dunaway, Elizabeth McGovern, Natasha Richardson and others.
-Ted Moffett
A short Amazon.com submitted review:

thought provoking reading and viewing, April 25, 1999
    Reviewer: A viewer from japan
I taught this particular novel and showed the movie in my AP senior lit and
comp class several years ago. After I made the decision to teach the book, I
read a review in The English Journal by another teacher who had taught it. She
raved about it. My students said the same things hers did..."Why did you save
the best until last?" I lent my video to a student who lent it to a friend. I
never got it back. The book and the movie force us all to examine how we view
women...how we view women in the church...how we view women in society. They
force us to examine the separation of church and state. The book is not the
product of a bored, sick mind, but rather the product of a contemporary feminist
author whose work routinely asks us to reexamine ourselves. The video is a good
representation of the book, bringing to life events portrayed. The book is
better, but the video is certainly worth watching. And for the love of God,
let's not let the USA become Gilead. --This text refers to the <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6301930789/ref=cm_rev_prev/104-4747976-3672757?v=glance&s=dvd">VHS Tape</A> edition

--part1_7a.5061ade7.2d5716df_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SAN=
SSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">
<BR>All:
<BR>
<BR>For a fictional account of a theocratic patriarchal dictatorship set in=20=
a possible future (here in the USA?) read "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret=20=
Atwood, or for the </FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=
=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FAC=
E=3D"verdana" LANG=3D"0">&nbsp;   =20
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COL=
OR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=
=3D"0">film version, view the adaptation worked from Harold Pinter's screenp=
lay titled "The Handmaid's Tale" with excellent performances (in my opinion)=
 by Robert Duvall, Faye Dunaway, Elizabeth McGovern, Natasha Richardson and=20=
others.
<BR>-Ted Moffett
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COL=
OR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"verdana" LANG=
=3D"0">A short Amazon.com submitted review:
<BR>
<BR><B>thought provoking reading and viewing</B>, April 25, 1999=20
<BR>    Reviewer: <B>A viewer </B>from japan  =20
<BR>I taught this particular novel and showed the movie in my AP senior lit=20=
and comp class several years ago. After I made the decision to teach the boo=
k, I read a review in The English Journal by another teacher who had taught=20=
it. She raved about it. My students said the same things hers did..."Why did=
 you save the best until last?" I lent my video to a student who lent it to=20=
a friend. I never got it back. The book and the movie force us all to examin=
e how we view women...how we view women in the church...how we view women in=
 society. They force us to examine the separation of church and state. The b=
ook is not the product of a bored, sick mind, but rather the product of a co=
ntemporary feminist author whose work routinely asks us to reexamine ourselv=
es. The video is a good representation of the book, bringing to life events=20=
portrayed. The book is better, but the video is certainly worth watching. An=
d for the love of God, let's not let the USA become Gilead. <I>--This text r=
efers to the <B><A HREF=3D"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/630=
1930789/ref=3Dcm_rev_prev/104-4747976-3672757?v=3Dglance&s=3Ddvd">VHS Tape</=
A></B></B> edition</I>=20
<BR>
<BR></FONT></HTML>

--part1_7a.5061ade7.2d5716df_boundary--