[Vision2020] Wilson shows his ignorance once again

Nicholas Gier ngier@uidaho.edu
Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:53:48 -0800

Greetings:

I'm still out of town but I've kept up as best I can from the web.

I just had to respond to what Wilson said to one of the papers--to wit, the Hindu caste system is racist. The caste system is an evil institution, but it is not racist.  3,500 years ago Aryan invaders came into Northwest India and they did initally have racist attitudes about the indigenous peoples.  Several centuries of intermarriage eventually erased a skin color basis for discrimination.  Indeed, many brahmins (the highest caste) I met in India were darker than people of a lower caste.

Once again, I must quote Max Muller: "They who know one religion know none."

Contrast this intermarriage with colonial Christianity (including Calvinism, Doug) and you get examples of horrible, vicious and long lasting racism.

Nick Gier