[Vision2020] UI Flyer

Ron Force rforce@moscow.com
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:07:34 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0070_01C3EC0A.8C11C9F0

Nio sign of it on any UI Web sites. Here's waht the Provost has to say:

  A Message from the Provost Dear Faculty, Staff and Students

Over the next several days, the university community has the opportunity to
demonstrate our shared commitment to creating an inclusive campus.

As most of you are aware, Christ Church of Moscow is sponsoring a conference
at the Student Union beginning today. The conference includes speakers who
have drawn considerable attention in recent months. There has been much
written and said about their beliefs by members of the university community,
area residents and media. At times, this debate has been very heated.

It is vital to remember that the university has a fundamental responsibility
to provide a climate where the open exchange of diverse ideas is valued and
conducted in a manner where learning occurs. The University of Idaho has a
long tradition of robust and vibrant debate on public issues. We are
committed to allowing unpopular views to be heard, regardless of how
controversial they are.

With respect to the Christ Church conference this week, and any responses to
it, our goals are clear. First, we must ensure the physical safety of all
residents, students, employees and visitors of the Moscow campus, including
participants at the conference. Second, we must work to protect the right of
all of us to speak our minds. Demonstrations, within appropriate guidelines,
are consistent with our support for debate. Intolerant acts and civil
disobedience, on the other hand, violate UI values, weaken our community and
will tend to repress future open dialogue at the UI. Third, we have a
responsibility to use our critical thinking to evaluate the merit of the
various views. How well we accomplish these goals will be testimony to our
commitment to civility, open debate and freedom of expression.

The expectation is that the activities of the coming days will be
respectful, peaceful and productive. I ask that each of us takes
responsibility for our own words and actions in making that happen.

Sincerely,

Provost Brian Pitcher

Ron Force          Moscow ID USA

    rforce@moscow.com

------=_NextPart_000_0070_01C3EC0A.8C11C9F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D953410501-06022004>Nio=20
sign of it on any UI Web sites. Here's waht the Provost has to=20
say:</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D953410501-06022004></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT><SPAN class=3D953410501-06022004><!--StartFragment =
-->&nbsp;<TR=20
align=3D"left"><TD colspan=3D"3" valign=3D"middle" bgcolor=3D"#e4bd56" =
height=3D"20"=20
background=3D"images\headlineback.gif"><SPAN class=3Dheadline>&nbsp;A =
Message from=20
the Provost</SPAN></TD></TR> <TR align=3D"left"><TD colspan=3D"3"=20
valign=3D"top"><B><SPAN class=3Dheadline></SPAN></B></TD></TR><TR><TD=20
valign=3D"top">Dear Faculty, Staff and Students<BR><BR>Over the next =
several days,=20
the university community has the opportunity to demonstrate our shared=20
commitment to creating an inclusive campus. <BR><BR>As most of you are =
aware,=20
Christ Church of Moscow is sponsoring a conference at the Student Union=20
beginning today. The conference includes speakers who have drawn =
considerable=20
attention in recent months. There has been much written and said about =
their=20
beliefs by members of the university community, area residents and =
media. At=20
times, this debate has been very heated. <BR><BR>It is vital to remember =
that=20
the university has a fundamental responsibility to provide a climate =
where the=20
open exchange of diverse ideas is valued and conducted in a manner where =

learning occurs. The University of Idaho has a long tradition of robust =
and=20
vibrant debate on public issues. We are committed to allowing unpopular =
views to=20
be heard, regardless of how controversial they are. <BR><BR>With respect =
to the=20
Christ Church conference this week, and any responses to it, our goals =
are=20
clear. First, we must ensure the physical safety of all residents, =
students,=20
employees and visitors of the Moscow campus, including participants at =
the=20
conference. Second, we must work to protect the right of all of us to =
speak our=20
minds. Demonstrations, within appropriate guidelines, are consistent =
with our=20
support for debate. Intolerant acts and civil disobedience, on the other =
hand,=20
violate UI values, weaken our community and will tend to repress future =
open=20
dialogue at the UI. Third, we have a responsibility to use our critical =
thinking=20
to evaluate the merit of the various views. How well we accomplish these =
goals=20
will be testimony to our commitment to civility, open debate and freedom =
of=20
expression.<BR><BR>The expectation is that the activities of the coming =
days=20
will be respectful, peaceful and productive. I ask that each of us takes =

responsibility for our own words and actions in making that=20
happen.<BR><BR>Sincerely,<BR><BR>Provost Brian Pitcher</TD></TR>=20
</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<P><FONT size=3D2>**********************************************<BR>Ron=20
Force&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Moscow =
ID&nbsp;<SPAN=20
class=3D953410501-06022004>USA</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P><SPAN class=3D953410501-06022004></SPAN><FONT =
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"mailto:rforce@moscow.com">rforce@<SPAN=20
class=3D953410501-06022004>moscow.com</A></SPAN><BR>*********************=
</P>
<BLOCKQUOTE>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0070_01C3EC0A.8C11C9F0--