[Vision2020] Fred Phelps' recording available

Garrett Clevenger onewildearth@hotmail.com
Sun, 01 Feb 2004 11:16:41 -0800

If anyone truly cares what Fred Phelps has to say, I have a copy of his
appearance on Tim Lohrmann's Moscow Morning Views radio show that was
recorded 2 summers ago.  Myself and Joann Muneta were on the air with him.
It's about an hour long.  I believe it was the only broadcast interview with
him that occured at the time in our area.

I can provide a tape or cd if you want to hear him for yourself.  Email me
offlist to request a copy.

Fred Phelps is the pastor of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka Kansas.
You can view his website at www.godhatesfags.com

I have to admit that being on the air with this guy gave me one of the
creepist feelings I've ever had.

One of the things that I remember him saying was that 911 was God's wrath
against America for its embrace of homosexuals.  I was too stunned after
hearing that to ask him if that means he believes the terrorists were tools
of God.  It seems only logical that if he believes 911 was God's wrath, then
God was working through the terrorists.  Therefore, these terrorists must be
blessed in Fred Phelps' head.

That's the problem with blind faith and manipulative pastors.  Both the
terrorists and religious fanatics suffer from this condition.  When they
believe others are condemned (American's for Al Queda and homosexuals for
Fred Phelps) then that endangers those who don't conform to their beliefs.
If they think God is empowering them, normal morality disappears.

It's no wonder then, that when fanatics truly believe others are going to
hell, a pretty nasty place according to their beliefs, that those who are
"condemned" are going to defend themselves.  It is not long ago and there
are other countries now, whose theocrats torture and kill those they think
are heretics.  It's not too twisted to think that at some point, our country
will slip into that type of archaic government.

All I can say is that belief and hope are fine, "God's" a nice "God" for
giving us the universe to explore, community worship is great, and being a
good person is good.  But closed-minded fanatisism seems awfully dangerous
and limiting.

"God" is too big to fit in one religion.  Only arrogant people claim to know
"God"'s will.

Why not be more open-minded and willing to explore all of "God"?  And be
more neighborly at the same time?

You would think pastors would try to create community, not destroy it.
Fortunately, most pastors don't preach hate.  Which is why most pastors
aren't controversial.

Hopefully the pastors in our town who understand this will become stronger
and more committed to loving all those in our community.  And help make it a
better place.

Just my humble opinion.

Garrett Clevenger

http://www.icehouse.net/garrett