[Vision2020] Mary and her Donkey

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Fri Dec 31 17:28:32 PST 2004

Dear Pat,

There they go again: Pat & Co. assuming that any criticism of conservative
Christianity must be coming from evil atheists.  For the record I am a
theist, not an orthodox one, primarily because heresy is always more fun,
enlightening, and usually more true.  If we do theology and don't abide by
the rules of logic and the canons of evidence, then gibberish is the
result.  If that means we put God in a box, then so much the better for
logical boxes.  For one, it would lead to better election results.

God did not have to put Mary on a donkey, Pat, Joseph could have easily
done it himself.  But my point was that the trip was not necessary.  The
Romans sent officials from village to village to make property tax
assessments.  Joseph would have been required to stay in Nazareth or he
would have faced severe penalties.  One in the crowd at the Feast of
Tabernacles implies that Jesus cannot be the Messiah because he comes from
Galilee and not Bethlehem (John 7.41), yet another Messianic expectation
that Jesus did not meet. The deeper implication is that the authors of John
either did not know of Luke's story or they rejected it as unhistorical.

Even if Joseph were somehow required to return to ancestral land in
Bethlehem, it was not necessary to take Mary with him.  But the whole idea
is a fantastic one.  In The Rise of Christianity the former Bishop E. W.
Barnes remarks:  "The Romans were a practical race, skilled in the art of
government.  It is incredible that they should have taken a census
according to such a fantastic system. [returning everyone to their
ancestral lands] If any such census had been taken, the dislocation to
which it would have led would have been world-wide.  Roman historians would
not have failed to record it."

Just another Moscow Banshee luxuriating in his little box of intelligibility,

Nick Gier