[Vision2020] Bush gives $5 B in aid to Asian Children

Dan Carscallen predator75 at moscow.com
Wed Dec 29 12:55:13 PST 2004

I too am "down" with the aid to these countries in their time of need,
no matter who is giving it.  It's all good, hopefully most of it gets to
those who need it most.  What I am not down with is the UN and their
representatives complaining that the US is not giving enough aid to
those in need.

Yesterday I remember reading remarks made by Jan Egeland, the UN
emergency relief coordinator and former head of the Norwegian Red Cross
stating how “We were more generous when we were less rich, many of the
rich countries.  And it is beyond me, why are we so stingy, really. ...
Even Christmas time should remind many Western countries at least how
rich we have become.”

Now, isn't the old saying "Never look a gift horse in the mouth", or
maybe "never turn down a free beer" (I can't remember which)?

I am glad Colin Powell got out there and put Mr. Egeland in his place.
Heck, maybe it's just inflation, but Andrew Natsios, the administrator
for the U.S. Agency for International Development, says that foreign
assistance for development and emergency relief rose from $10 billion in
President Clinton’s last year to $24 billion under President Bush in
2003. Powell said U.S. assistance for this week’s earthquake and
tsunamis alone will eventually exceed $1 billion.

Compassionate Conservatism?  Looks like it to me.

DC