[Vision2020] Dropping a log on Dale's blog

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Dec 28 10:08:28 PST 2004

Saundra, et al,

At the risk of repeating, I post below passages from the New Testament which were discussed on V 2020 below.  These passages seem quite clear about who will go to heaven if the New Testament claims are true.

The passages say:

1.    God will look at each and every person who ever existed in the world at some future time.

2.    God will review the records and separate humankind into two groups:  sheep and goats.

3.    The sheep are those which helped the unfortunate the best or nearly the best they could in any manner they could -- the hungry, sick, etc.

4.    The sheep will go to heaven.

5.    The goats will not.

6.    Admittance to heaven depends SOLELY upon the treatment of others and not upon any particular religious belief, or asking for forgiveness, loving God, etc.

The passages below are disturbing to those who think that only people who are Christians of their particular sect/cult's beliefs will be rewarded by the alleged God of the Christians.  If they claim the passages at issue are in error or incomplete, then they are admitting the bible is not inerrant.  Once the possibility errancy is admitted, a whole new can of worms is opened:

If some of the bible is errant, then which passages, if any, are true.  How can you tell?
If God is all-powerful or even just very powerful, why didn't God do a much better job on the bible, his alleged instruction manual to humankind for achieving an ecstatic, eternal life?  If God can't produce a clear, demonstrably true guide for us to achieve the grand prize of eternal life, then can She/He/It we trusted to inerrantly deliver on the promise of heaven made?  Etc.

Perhaps Christ Church Cult Master Douglas Wilson or his spokesperson/alter-ego Dale Courtney will deign to post a response on V 2020 on these not trivial questions to those that claim to be Christians.  Perhaps Eric E. will also post a response since the passages at issue seem to conflict with his previously posted goals of saving souls not by urging them (and himself) to do good deeds (as define in the passages below), but to love God, ask for forgiveness, accept Christ, etc.  The passages at issue certainly indicate that he is on the wrong track.

Comments from a non-believer but none-the-less interested observer,

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com

_______________________
From: the New Revised Standard Edition of the Bible:

31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. 34Then the king will say to those at his right hand, 'Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.' 37Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? 38And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? 39And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?' 40And the king will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family,£ you did it to me.' 41Then he will say to those at his left hand, 'You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' 44Then they also will answer, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?' 45Then he will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' 46And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

>From Young's Literal Translation of the Bible:

31'And whenever the Son of Man may come in his glory, and all the holy messengers with him, then he shall sit upon a throne of his glory; 32and gathered together before him shall be all the nations, and he shall separate them from one another, as the shepherd doth separate the sheep from the goats, 33and he shall set the sheep indeed on his right hand, and the goats on the left.
34'Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35for I did hunger, and ye gave me to eat; I did thirst, and ye gave me to drink; I was a stranger, and ye received me; 36naked, and ye put around me; I was infirm, and ye looked after me; in prison I was, and ye came unto me.

37'Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when did we see thee hungering, and we nourished? or thirsting, and we gave to drink? 38and when did we see thee a stranger, and we received? or naked, and we put around? 39and when did we see thee infirm, or in prison, and we came unto thee?

40'And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did it to one of these my brethren-the least-to me ye did it.

41Then shall he say also to those on the left hand, Go ye from me, the cursed, to the fire, the age-during, that hath been prepared for the Devil and his messengers; 42for I did hunger, and ye gave me not to eat; I did thirst, and ye gave me not to drink; 43a stranger I was, and ye did not receive me; naked, and ye put not around me; infirm, and in prison, and ye did not look after me.

44'Then shall they answer, they also, saying, Lord, when did we see thee hungering, or thirsting, or a stranger, or naked, or infirm, or in prison, and we did not minister to thee?

45'Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of these, the least, ye did it not to me. 46And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during.'