[Vision2020] Heads up

Nance Ceccarelli and Paul McCawley njc at moscow.com
Thu Dec 23 06:51:22 PST 2004

Dear visionaries -

An explanation to the problem to which Ms. R. refers with respect to
"extra" or additional charges on VISA debit cards and overdrafts on
accounts, may be found by examining the incorrect or uneducated use of a
debit/ convenience check card as if it is a credit card.

It is my understanding that debit cards do not and cannot extend
"credit" or allow for charges beyond what is actually available in the
checking account.  So, if a restaurant runs the charge through on a
total, and gets an authorization, if the customer then adds tips to the
slip - the amount exceeds the total authorized.  When the slips are all
deposited by the merchant(s), and the amounts finally charged to an
account exceed the funds available, then who gets stuck???   While a
small $5.00 tip on a single occurrence seems inconsequential, what
happens when this is replicated all over town by one customer - or
multiplied by many customers at a single venue?

Perhaps there is someone out there lurking who can speak to this issue
beyond my minimal, basic knowledge.  Seems to me that before jumping to
the throats of merchants who are providing services to our consuming
customers, and believing all that is seen "on-line," we should be having
a real live conversation with an individual at the bank - and learn what
the practice actually is.  (just my opinion)

Best wishes for a happy, healthy, and RELAXED holiday for all!

Nance Ceccarelli