[Vision2020] The Cary, NC--Moscow, ID link

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Tue Dec 14 17:48:35 PST 2004

What exactly do you find offensive about this? I am basically
agnostic but respect the views of others (though I don't necessarily
understand them). With an open mind I read this and can't really see
a problem.  I just don't get it, and I would like to know and am not
trying to stir the pot. Honestly....

Debbie

On 14 Dec 2004 at 15:11, Nick Gier wrote:

> Greetings:
>
>   Larry Stephenson, now principal of Cary Christian School (CCS) in
>   Cary, NC, was once employed at Moscow's Logos School.  Here is
    CCS's
>   position on slavery.  Does this language remind you of anyone?
>   >   Position Statement
>   Preamble:
>   This statement is intended to provide direction to any CCS
>   schoolteacher who in the course of his or her duties at CCS is
>   addressing the subject of slavery. In the course of directing class
>   discussion, we would like the teachers to bring the students to the
>   following conclusions.
>   >   Purpose:
>   The students should be taught that the reason for studying this
    issue
>   is to remain faithful to the teaching of scripture. By seeing how
>   obedience to scripture could quite possibly have protected our
    fathers
>   (both North and South) from a costly and bloody war, had they only
>   obeyed, we may be assured of the importance of submitting to the
>   scriptures when it comes to our controversies (e.g. abortion,
>   homosexuality), whatever the unbelieving world may say about them.
>   >   Slave Trade:
>   Students should learn that the slave trade was an abomination, and
>   that those evangelicals in England who led the fight against it are
>   rightly considered heroes of the faith. The Bible clearly rejects
    the
>   practice of slave trading (1 Timothy 1:10, Ex. 21:16). In a just
>   social order, slave trading could rightly be punished with death.
>   >   Hebrew Slavery and Pagan Slavery:
>   The students should recognize the difference between slavery
    regulated
>   by the Mosaic Law, that is, a slavery that was little more than an
>   indentured servant-hood, and slavery as it existed in a pagan
    empire
>   such as Rome. In ancient Israel, it was the duty of those who
    feared
>   God to simply obey the law as God gave it. But when the existing
    law
>   was that of an unbelieving pagan order, it was the duty of
    Christians
>   living within that system to follow biblical instructions carefully
    so
>   that the Word of God would not be blasphemed (1 Timothy 6:1).
>   >   Racism:
>   The students should know that as a matter of biblical principle,
    and
>   as an integral part of our official school position, we denounce
    every
>   form of racism, racial animosity or racial vainglory. God created
    man
>   in His own image, and has made from one blood all the nations of
    the
>   earth (Acts 17:26). We believe firmly that in the gospel God has
>   reversed the curse of Babel, and that in Christ there is neither
    Jew
>   nor Greek, male or female, slave or free, black or white, Asian or
>   Hispanic (Galatians 3:28).
>   >   Slavery as an Institution:
>   Christ died on the cross to set all men free from their sins, and
    all
>   forms of external slavery build on the bedrock of slavery to sin.
>   Therefore, the logic of the Great Commission requires the eventual
>   death of slavery as an institution in every place where it might
    still
>   exist. While Christian slaves were commanded to work hard for their
>   masters, Christian slaves were also told to take any lawful
>   opportunity for freedom (1 Cor. 7:20-24). This indicates that
    slavery
>   as an institution is inconsistent with the fundamental spirit of
    the
>   gospel, and as such it should be considered a sinful institution
>   generally, one that invited the judgment of God.
>   >   Reformation or Revolution:
>   The godly pattern of social renewal is never revolution. The
>   revolutionary insists on immediate action, through coercive,
    bloody,
>   and political means. In contrast, the work of the gospel is done as
>   silently as yeast working through the loaf, and the end result is
>   liberation from sin, love for God, and love for one's neighbor.
    This
>   love for neighbor necessitates the recognition that in Christ there
    is
>   neither Jew nor Greek, slave or free, male or female, white or
    black
>   (Galatians 3:28). But those revolutionaries who are impatient in
    their
>   spirits always refuse God's teaching in such matters. They are
    proud
>   and ignorant, loving verbal strife, envy, railing, and perverse
>   disputes (1 Timothy 6: 3-5).
>   >   Just one of Wilson's banshees,
>   >   Nick Gier
>   >   >