[Vision2020] The Cary, NC--Moscow, ID link

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Tue Dec 14 15:11:27 PST 2004

Greetings:

Larry Stephenson, now principal of Cary Christian School (CCS) in Cary, NC,
was once employed at Moscow's Logos School.  Here is CCS's position on
slavery.  Does this language remind you of anyone?

Position Statement
Preamble:
This statement is intended to provide direction to any CCS schoolteacher
who in the course of his or her duties at CCS is addressing the subject of
slavery. In the course of directing class discussion, we would like the
teachers to bring the students to the following conclusions.

Purpose:
The students should be taught that the reason for studying this issue is to
remain faithful to the teaching of scripture. By seeing how obedience to
scripture could quite possibly have protected our fathers (both North and
South) from a costly and bloody war, had they only obeyed, we may be
assured of the importance of submitting to the scriptures when it comes to
our controversies (e.g. abortion, homosexuality), whatever the unbelieving
world may say about them.

Slave Trade:
Students should learn that the slave trade was an abomination, and that
those evangelicals in England who led the fight against it are rightly
considered heroes of the faith. The Bible clearly rejects the practice of
slave trading (1 Timothy 1:10, Ex. 21:16). In a just social order, slave
trading could rightly be punished with death.

Hebrew Slavery and Pagan Slavery:
The students should recognize the difference between slavery regulated by
the Mosaic Law, that is, a slavery that was little more than an indentured
servant-hood, and slavery as it existed in a pagan empire such as Rome. In
ancient Israel, it was the duty of those who feared God to simply obey the
law as God gave it. But when the existing law was that of an unbelieving
pagan order, it was the duty of Christians living within that system to
follow biblical instructions carefully so that the Word of God would not be
blasphemed (1 Timothy 6:1).

Racism:
The students should know that as a matter of biblical principle, and as an
integral part of our official school position, we denounce every form of
racism, racial animosity or racial vainglory. God created man in His own
image, and has made from one blood all the nations of the earth (Acts
17:26). We believe firmly that in the gospel God has reversed the curse of
Babel, and that in Christ there is neither Jew nor Greek, male or female,
slave or free, black or white, Asian or Hispanic (Galatians 3:28).

Slavery as an Institution:
Christ died on the cross to set all men free from their sins, and all forms
of external slavery build on the bedrock of slavery to sin. Therefore, the
logic of the Great Commission requires the eventual death of slavery as an
institution in every place where it might still exist. While Christian
slaves were commanded to work hard for their masters, Christian slaves were
also told to take any lawful opportunity for freedom (1 Cor. 7:20-24). This
indicates that slavery as an institution is inconsistent with the
fundamental spirit of the gospel, and as such it should be considered a
sinful institution generally, one that invited the judgment of God.

Reformation or Revolution:
The godly pattern of social renewal is never revolution. The revolutionary
insists on immediate action, through coercive, bloody, and political means.
In contrast, the work of the gospel is done as silently as yeast working
through the loaf, and the end result is liberation from sin, love for God,
and love for one's neighbor. This love for neighbor necessitates the
recognition that in Christ there is neither Jew nor Greek, slave or free,
male or female, white or black (Galatians 3:28). But those revolutionaries
who are impatient in their spirits always refuse God's teaching in such
matters. They are proud and ignorant, loving verbal strife, envy, railing,
and perverse disputes (1 Timothy 6: 3-5).

Just one of Wilson's banshees,

Nick Gier