[Vision2020] Timid Kerry Stopped Counting Too Soon

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Fri Dec 10 11:18:44 PST 2004

All:

Yes, I wish Kerry had not conceded so quickly, and demanded more effort
towards recounts and investigations into fraud, incompetence and abuse of the Right
to Vote.  What especially is needed is real teeth to enforce the Voting
Rights Act: people need to be charged with a crime in a court when they engage in
activities designed to disenfranchise voters.  From what I have gathered, there
is weak or nonexistent enforcement of the Voting Rights Act.  Consider that
even though felony violations of voting law were discovered in court cases in
Florida 2000, no one was charged, as far as I know.  If I am wrong, someone
provide the evidence.

I say this not in a partisan hope that Kerry would win, but for the sake of
the effort to reform our election systems, so every citizen is encouraged and
has the means to vote without difficulty.  Unless there is a sea change in how
we conduct elections, fraud and abuse and deliberate disenfranchisement will
continue indefinitely.

But even Michael Moore, when he appeared in a formal suit on the Tonight
Show, asserted that Bush won because he got more votes.

What amazes me is how many US citizens appear unconcerned about the evidence
of hundreds of thousands of disenfranchised voters nationwide, citizens and
voters from all political persuasions.

And many republicans seem to adopt the "winning is everything" attitude.  As
long as their guy got the White House, all the focus on vote fraud and
disenfranchisement is just grumbling from sore losers.  The Republican Party is the
party of firm moral values?  Not if you were a black person trying to vote in
certain areas of Ohio.

Cynicism rules!

Ted Moffett