[Vision2020] Gary Schroeder dethroned

Bill London london at moscow.com
Fri Dec 3 11:15:58 PST 2004

    According to the Lewiston Tribune this morning, the Idaho Republicans fired Gary Schroeder.  He no longer is the chair of the Senate Education Committee.  He is now chairing some committee that deals with safer subjects, like fish and game fees.
    Schroeder had been a hassle and a pain to the Republicans for a while, with his concerns for public education.  He has been replaced with a much better team player who will not complain about charter schools sucking the K-12 system dry.
    Even ignoring the weirdness of the Republican dictatorial politics in this situation, this latest effort at cleansing the Republicans of anyone vaguely moderate brings to my mind the campaign rhetoric from the last season.
    The Republican candidates kept pounding out that mantra: Republicans can better protect public education in Idaho because they have a place at the table with the dominant party.
    Maybe not so.  Schroeder just lost his big place at the table.  Trail never had one.  These guys are already marginalized and they keep getting bumped into a smaller and smaller margin.
    Explain it to me again....how does any voter support public education and the UI by voting Republican?
BL