[Vision2020] Inarticulate thoughts on slavery

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 31 20:08:41 PDT 2004

I also think it is important to think about the idea that it is impossible
for an owner not to beat his or her slave if they are intent upon running
away. I would tend to think that the slave would want to run away and the
slave owner would want to protect, or keep their investment. So a slave
owner that was not willing to beat a slave would probably not be a slave
owner very long because the slave would run away. Also, the slave owner,
would prefer to use other forms of coercion, besides physical mutilation of
his "property" that would reduce resale value and production capabilities. A
one legged slave may not be able to run away, but they also cannot produce
or lift as much either.

Shy of chopping off my legs, chaining me, or threatening to do harm to my
family, I would run rather than be a slave.

I think this concept makes slavery inherently evil or unnatural.

Donovan J Arnold