[Vision2020] History Books Part 2

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Tue Aug 31 19:26:47 PDT 2004

Visionaries,

In case Mr. Ryan doesn't offer a suggested reading list, let me provide some
links.
American Civil War: Historiography & Interpretation
http://book-smith.tripod.com/civ-war-historiography.html

I am fairly familiar with the Houghton Mifflin, Major Problem series
(although not the Civil War volume) and know that they provide a wide selection of
materials and great bibliographies.
It is worthwhile to follow the link at the bottom of the page for even more
materials.

Since I have asked Mr. Ryan to share his list of Civil War histories, I'd
like to suggest one for him.

The Myth of the Lost Cause and Civil War History Edited by Gary W. Gallagher
and Alan T. Nolan
Nine distinguished historians debunk the myth of the Lost Cause. The myth of
the Lost Cause posits the following notion: that the Confederacy was doomed
from the start in its struggle against the superior might of the Union, but its
forces fought heroically against all odds for the cause of states' rights. In
reality, this was and is an elaborate and intentional effort on the part of
Southerners to rationalize the secession and the war itself. Unfortunately,
skillful propagandists (beginning with Jubal Early) have been so successful in
promoting this romanticized view that the Lost Cause has assumed a life of its
own, leaving truth in the dust. Misrepresenting the war's true origins and its
actual course, the myth of the Lost Cause distorts our national memory. The
controversy currently raging in South Carolina, Georgia, and Texas over the
display of Confederate symbols illustrates the power and saliency of this myth. In
this volume, nine historians describe and analyze the Lost Cause, identifying
the ways in which it falsifies history. They have created a thoughtful and
provocative volume that makes a major contribution to Civil War historiography.
Gary W. Gallagher is Professor of History at the University of Virginia. He
has written and published numerous books on the Civil War, including Lee and
His Generals in War and Memory, Lee the Soldier, and The Confederate War.
Alan T. Nolan is author of Lee Considered and The Iron Brigade and is editor
of Giants in Their Tall Black Hats, the latter two books published by Indiana
University Press.

If your local library doesn't have a copy it is available from Amazon - read
tje reviews at

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0253338220/qid=1094005485/sr=1-1
/ref=sr_1_1/102-0733019-6538533?v=glance&s=books

Rose Huskey

"One cannot level one's moral lance at every evil in the universe. There are
just too many of them. But you can do something, and the difference between
doing something and doing nothing is everything." Daniel Berrigan