[Vision2020] Re: Earlier question

Ted Ryan coffeemonkey100 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 31 08:41:54 PDT 2004

Sunil,

Look, you had time to ask the question in the first place, you had time to ask me why I hadn't answered and now I am guilty of stealing you away from your work and your family.  You have not given any tone to the conversation that has made it pleasant.  If this is so difficult for you why post in the first place?  I did not accuse you of hostility due to your work load; until you told me you had work to do, how am I supposed to know?

I can certainly appreciate family time and encourage you to partake, but don't get upset when you ask me to answer a question that was not visible in the first place and even after finding it, was not easy to decipher.  The statements out of the slavery pamphlet WERE taken out of context and given the delicate nature of the subject can be misused outside of the whole text.  This has already occurred in this forum, and I fear, you are doing the same thing.

You have already started putting words in the mouths of the authors.  They did not say that "race relations in that period were superior to those of any other time and place".  Even what they did say doesn't mean that there are no race relations that are good right now.  Condoning a multi-racial marriage would have been wrong then and it is wrong now.  Like any marriage, if is entered into as it should, race has no bearing.  I am glad that you are happily married and enjoy your children.  My wife and I have good friends that are a multi-racial couple, and they exemplify the kind of relationship we should all have with those different then us.

Stop for a moment to read and consider what the authors of that book actually said, not what you think they said.

I will chase down those references and send them to you.

Ted Ryan