[Vision2020] North Idaho's image problem

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 30 11:19:20 PDT 2004

Forgive my late foray into the Confederate flag-Chamber of Commerce flap,
I've been on vacation.  A few years ago, I was visiting a friend in the
Asheville area of North Carolina.  At a museum in a little town called
Brevard, I told the curator I was from north Idaho.  I was immediately
assailed with questions about white supremacists, neo-Nazis, and
neo-Confederates.  I did my part as an ambassador of our beautiful neck of
the woods, and assured him that it was an assemblage of a handful of idiots
who in no way represented the majority of Idaho residents.  Given the
waning, but still active perception of this area as a haven for the Richard
Butlers of the world, I can only say as a Moscow resident that a Chamber of
Commerce presentation featuring the image of the Confederate flag is
impolitic at best.  I'm feeling cranky, anyway.  I discovered over the
weekend that at least three members of my extended clan are.....Republicans.
  I've been assured by my support group that Republicans happen in the best
of families.

                                                          Carl Westberg Jr.