[Vision2020] Moscow Chamber is public too

bill london london at moscow.com
Fri Aug 27 11:52:38 PDT 2004

The Moscow Chamber of Commerce may be organized as a private non-profit,
but it is a public entity in many ways.

First, the Chamber represents the city to prospective businesses,
families considering moving here, and community visitors.  And more
importantly, my tax dollars -- and those of everyone here in Moscow --
are used to help fund its existence and its programs.

In 2004, the city of Moscow gave the Moscow Chamber $10,000 as the
city's regular, annual donation.  In response, the chamber is supposed
to help with the economic development of our community.

What the Chamber board is not supposed to do is give the community
another black eye by advancing the Christ Church agenda and lauding
Robert E. Lee.  What the Chamber board is also not supposed to do is
ignore the concern and input from its members and from the members of
this community.

I urge the Moscow City Council to cease payments of our tax money to the
Moscow Chamber of Commerce until the Chamber board removes this
financial and ideological cloud.
BL